News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

MSDN Library May 2006 Edition - Free download

Started by GregL, July 27, 2006, 11:16:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

MSDN Library May 2006 Edition is available for download.

Apparently Microsoft has decided to make the MSDN Library a free download now and in the future.

This Microsoft employee talks about it in his blog.

hutch--

Thanks for the link Greg, all I have to do now is see when I have time to download 3 ISO files.  :bg
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

hutch--

hmmmmm,

That was far more painless than I expected, the three ISO files are on a high bandwidth server and with the ADSL I have here in OZ, I got the three of them down in under 40 minutes.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

GregL

Hutch,

Yeah, it wasn't too bad. It took about an hour to get all three ISOs here, I'm on cable. I haven't looked at it yet, I wonder how much of it is .NET stuff and how much of it is Windows API. The .NET information seems to be growing and the Windows API information seems to be dwindling with each new release.

jdoe

Hi,

I always download the latest Windows SDK to get the Windows API reference but what is the difference between SDK and MSDN Library. The latest SDK (Server 2003 R2) is not really old but if the MSDN Library is a more complete reference, maybe it worth to be downloaded. Thats what I would like to know.

Thanks

Mark Jones

Just a note that the install will not work if you combine all three ISOs into one... I just tried that so I could burn it all to one DVD, but the install failed.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

PBrennick

The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

GregL

jdoe,

The difference between the MSDN Library and the Platform SDK is that the MSDN Library has all the information for all the various Microsoft compilers and development tools along with the .NET Framework and Windows API information. So, if you only need the Windows API information, you are better off sticking with the Platform SDK.

lingo

"Just a note that the install will not work if you combine all three ISOs into one...
I just tried that so I could burn it all to one DVD, but the install failed."

I combined them on my hard drive too and started Setup
My original MSDN was updated successfully to version 8.0.50727.42 RTM

Shantanu Gadgil

There exists a method to combine the VS.NET 2003/2005 and the MSDN CDs into one mega dvd by modifying the main ".msi" file of each to "make it look" for a media with the appropriate volume label.

I have done it for VS.NET 2003 (3 CD) and MSDN Jan 2006 (3 CD).

Probably the same technique could work here? (I am downloading the May 2006 MSDN tonight; will try it then)
To ret is human, to jmp divine!

Shantanu Gadgil

Yep!!! Confirm that!!!  :U :U It works!!!  :thumbu :thumbu

(It will always install fine after merging off a fixed disk, the problem was when that combined stuff was burnt onto a DVD)

Here's how:

Copy Disc 1, 2 and 3 into one directory (Keep the autorun files from the first disc)
Using the "Orca" program modify the msdn.msi file like so:
   In the "Media" listitem, set the VoulmeLabel of whichever items that exist to whatever you plan to keep the volume label of the DVD (so...change MSDNVENUD1, MSDNVENUD2 and MSDNVENUD3 to MSDNVENU and then keep the volume label of the DVD as MSDNVENU)

Thats it...you are done!!!

Just make an ISO and check that it installs fine (using something like Daemon Tools, etc)

Enjoy!!!

EDIT: -- Forgot the credits, sorry!!!
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1212/
This one shows us (in detail) to make a single .NET + MSDN DVD!!!

jdoe

Quote from: Greg on July 29, 2006, 01:38:31 AM
jdoe,

The difference between the MSDN Library and the Platform SDK is that the MSDN Library has all the information for all the various Microsoft compilers and development tools along with the .NET Framework and Windows API information. So, if you only need the Windows API information, you are better off sticking with the Platform SDK.

Thanks Greg for the information.
I could have download the MSDN Library to see by myself but I only have a mid-range cable connection with 1Go download a month.

Mark Jones

Quote from: lingo on July 29, 2006, 12:03:45 PM
I combined them on my hard drive too and started Setup

If that's the case, perhaps the volume label simply has to be something other than "MSDNVENUD1"?
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Shantanu Gadgil

QuoteIf that's the case, perhaps the volume label simply has to be something other than "MSDNVENUD1"?
No...no...not really. The merged thing _always_ works from the HDD. (The installer must be checking this, I guess)

As I said, inside the "msdn.msi" there are few files which are expected from a media of some particular title. When making our own single DVD, we just have to modify those to the volumelabel we are going to put for the DVD!  :bg

alksentrs

What is wrong with Windows XP SP1 - why does it have to be SP2 ?
Do I have to upgrade to SP2 just to use the MSDN library ?

Has any user of SP1 tried to use it and have any problems ?