News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

HowTo...

Started by little_Coder, June 23, 2006, 05:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

little_Coder

I would like to realize a programm, but ..  ::)
I wanted to use the full math power of my computer and thought, if I want to use my pc like a supercomputer, I must use it in RealMode.
If we use Windows, Drivers, Multitasking, etc. our computerspeed gets splitted....
So how about booting a program and start to calculate it directly after the boot without windows/dos/linux etc.
Only what it is need is to boot the system and use the fpu.And of course to input and output data....

Does somebody has a masm32 source/samples/tutorials etc. for writing it?

E.g. I want to write a programm to calculate PI
I have the algo, but no idea to write the booting stuff etc.

Mark Jones

The MASM EULA only allows building Windows(tm) applications. To build a bootable image, you'll have to use another assembler like NASM, GOASM, POASM, etc.

Windows is not so terrible when it comes to speed. It can be, if code is poorly written and bloated. Windows also provides thousands of pre-built API functions - what if your app needed to access a file on the internet? Easy in Windows, very difficult in DOS. You could also assign a windows executable REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS, which effectively gives you all of the CPU. I think it would be easier and faster to optimize a windows application, than build a bootable image... but to each their own. Good luck. :U
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Casper

Another option is to employ a lightweight OS such as Solar_OS from Bogdan.  It is VERY cool and offers a seamless way to do it.  TASM is an assembler that you can use, also.

Paul