News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Getting started for experienced programmers

Started by jamesb1979, July 09, 2006, 11:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamesb1979

I've been looking on Google and in directories for the past couple of days for a guide to programming with MASM for experienced programmers. So far I've only found tutorials that are too basic or are for DOS using the int 21h interrupt.

I've been programming in C for a decade and I'm familiar with all the basics like the x86 CPU architecture and basic instructions, registers, addressing, and have played with HLA, NASM, FASM, TASM, your-mother's-asm, etc. What I'm really after I suppose is a concise guide to the syntax of structures, macros, procedures, the high level control structures, declaring data, operators and so forth. I have been on the MSDN site and looked at the assembler sections there, but it's a bit too sparse. I'm familiar with the Win32 API.

Then it's on to learning more instructions and being able to write decent assembly language programs.  :toothy

Thanks for your advice.  :U

hutch--

James,

If its MASM you are interested in, have a look at the MASM32 project, it is pointed at experienced programmers and should have enough info for you to get up and going so you can set up your own stuff in whatever way you like.

As usual you make sure you have the Intel manual set and some viable reference to the Windows API function set, the rest is practice.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

jamesb1979

Thanks Hutch. I've downloaded and installed MASM32, and the help docs in there along with the example programs are great. Looks like I've got what I was looking for.  :thumbu

GregL

James,

There is also the 'MASM 6.11 Programmer's Guide' and 'MASM 6.11 Reference' you can get here. The MASM Programmer's Guide has some good information that is hard to find elsewhere.

jamesb1979

Hi Greg, thanks very much! :U

Certainly looks good. I need to get the Word viewer... I hope it can view Word 2.0 documents. Both Wordpad and Works have a fit trying to open them. :bg

GregL

James,

I have a PDF version of the MASM Programmer's Guide, but it is too large to attach here and I cannot find a link to it.

James Ladd

James,

Also, since your living in a brave GNU world you might like to try Gnu Assembler which is part of
the standard tool chain. It supports intel syntax.

This may be handy if you want to do cross platform assembler.

Rgs, James.