News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

WinRAR

Started by Robert Collins, October 06, 2005, 09:49:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

I need to upload an extermely large file to my web site so that others may download it. The size of the WinRAR zipped file is 260MB (= 272,632,521 bytes). This is way too large for a single upload and more than likely way to large for alot of people to download it (especially if they only have DialUp). I'm sure that I cannot create volumes of this zipped file using WinZip but I know it can be done using WinRAR. I looked at the Help menu under Volumes but I couldn't figure out how to do it from that menu explanation. To me, it described what volumes are but didn't tell me how to create the volumes.

So, my question is quite obvious. Does anyone here know the steps I need to do to, let's say, break this large file into 8MB volumes? I figured it would take 34 volumes at 8MB and 1 at less than 8MB. 

arafel

dunno how to do it from the gui interface, but from command line it's pretty trivial:

rar a -m5 -v8192 arcvh.rar *

will compress all files in the current dir to 8mb archive values.

QvasiModo

When creating the .rar file you're presented with a dialog box from which you can choose the files to compress, the compression method, etc. At the left bottom corner you'll see a combo box with the title "Split to volumes, bytes". The options are: "Autodetect" (stops on disk full), some predefined sizes (1.44 MB, etc.), or you can type yourself the number of bytes (the final size might be slightly less, but never larger).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Robert Collins

Quote from: QvasiModo on October 06, 2005, 10:29:04 PM
When creating the .rar file you're presented with a dialog box from which you can choose the files to compress, the compression method, etc. At the left bottom corner you'll see a combo box with the title "Split to volumes, bytes". The options are: "Autodetect" (stops on disk full), some predefined sizes (1.44 MB, etc.), or you can type yourself the number of bytes (the final size might be slightly less, but never larger).

OK, that worked perfectly. Thank you.