News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

dumping IE/Outlook Express

Started by shankle, June 04, 2006, 08:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I have recently replaced  Internet Explorer/Outlook Express with Firefox/Thunderbird.

What are the repercussions of uninstalling/disabling Outlook Express? I understand that
Internet Explorer can't be touched.

Thanks,
JPS
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

Ossa

None that I have ever seen, so long as you imported to Thunderbird OK. I switched from outlook to Mozilla (and now to Seamonkey) without any reprecussions.

Ossa
Website (very old): ossa.the-wot.co.uk

rags

Shankle,
You may want to keep a backup copy of your profile for firefox.
My profile was 'lost' twice, and all the bookmarks along with it. Fortunately after the first one I started making backups of the bookmarks/profile.
Its a known issue, and according to bugzilla wont be fixed until v2,
Rags
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

shankle

Thanks RAGS for your suggestion.
How did you go about backing up the bookmarks/ profile????
I can't even find the profile.
What extensions do these files have?
JPS
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

Ossa

Quote from: shankle on June 05, 2006, 10:07:20 PM
How did you go about backing up the bookmarks/ profile????
I can't even find the profile.

It's in:

C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

You will need to change "Username" to whatever your windows username is. In there you will find a folder with a wierd name: the contents of that are your profile. Bookmarks are in bookmarks.html

Ossa

hutch--

Jack,

I tend to agree with Ossa here after having played with SeaMonkey, its a direct take on the older Netscape but it uses the much later Gecko browser engine and it still does many things including using the older Netscape email format. The trick is to turn off any automatic email code and only work with plain text email so you cannot get caught with autorun trojans. You should find the link at "mozilla.org".
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Ghirai

MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

drhowarddrfine

Since version 1.5 I have always used automatic updating and never lost bookmarks or anything else.  But I've never lost bookmarks even before that.

You can download and use MozBackup which I use.

I have not used Outlook Express for at least one or two years.

Ossa

I wasn't suggesting that you use Seamonkey instead of Thunderbird/Firefox. Obviously use the one that best suits you - if you want a "lite" solution, the firefox/thundebird combo is probably best, for "heavy" browsing I think seamonkey is better, but thats a personal preference - try them and see what you prefer (I actually only like Seamonkey if used with multizilla - much more useful).

Quote from: drhowarddrfine on June 06, 2006, 12:55:02 PM
You can download and use MozBackup which I use.

Looks great - I'll have to give it a go. Thanks for pointing that out, drhowarddrfine.

Ossa