News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

I need a suggestion

Started by JEBOman, April 06, 2006, 11:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JEBOman

Hello, I finished all the win32asm tutorials I could find, and I was wondering what kind of program should I make? I just can't think of anything to do.

Thank you in advance

Mark Jones

Congrats! Are you serious? No idea what to make? Most of us are probably working on 10 things at once. :bg

A neat project might be a windows tool which computes the logical operators (and the resulting flag bits) for two entered values. i.e., you gave it two numbers (in either binary, decimal, or hex) and it spits out the AND result in binary, decimal, and hex plus the FLAG bits, the OR result in binary, decimal, and hex plus FLAG bits, etc. Something like this would really simplify conditional-logic coding. :wink
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

PBrennick

... and put it all together so that it has the look and feel of a calculator (the GUI).  The finished project would be a Logic Calculator.  Next, you might want to give it the option to place the results onto the clipboard.

Sorry, Mark, I hope you don't mind.
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

JEBOman

I kinda lied, I am playing arround with DirectX... But I can't think of something that really uses ASM to do. I don't quite understand what you are suggesting, do you mean have like you eneter 1001b and 1100b and have it do AND and it will reurn 1000b?

Mark Jones

Thanks Paul, you're always one for producing the best professional-looking apps. I remember your calculator and in fact have it right here. (Me, my philosophy is, if it is a tool, it only has to work!) :lol

Quote from: JEBOman on April 07, 2006, 12:09:13 AM
I don't quite understand what you are suggesting, do you mean have like you eneter 1001b and 1100b and have it do AND and it will reurn 1000b?

Exactly. AND, OR, XOR, NOT, NEG, etc. This seems simple for a binary word, but doing this to 32-bit decimals or hex values in one's mind is very difficult. Hence, make a calculator which shows  what all the possible outputs are. Then when you're coding logic and need to know what will happen when 0FA12F001h is XORed  with 0110010111001b, it will be simple to find out. :toothy

JEBOman

That seems fairly simple just have to put them into variables and then compare the offsets then place that into a variable and take the offset of that and display it in whatever the user specifies. The only thing I need to figure out, would be what to make how you choose which logical operator and in what format you want the result look like.

Mark Jones

Just show them all. :) Maybe something like:

Destination Operand:________b________d________h
Source Operand:   ________b________d________h
AND dst,src:________b________d________hZero Carry Parity
OR dst,src:________b________d________hZero Carry Parity
XOR dst,src:________b________d________hZero Carry Parity
NOT src:________b________d________h
NEG src:________b________d________hZero Carry Parity

etc...

hutch--

Jeb,

Just a word of wisdom from an old timer, never bite off more than you can chew and this applies to programming as much as anything else. Start with a project that you know is within your capacity and make sure you finish it because this keeps increasing your capacity to make bigger and better applications. Sometimes after you hve worked through a lot of new material you are not all that creative for a short while after it but as it sinks in, it increases your capacity to do more and you can start to design bigger and better things.

Try a project that you see as useful to you and try and make as much of the code reusable as possible as it make the next try easier as well and you can improve on it if you need to.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Mark Jones

Hi JEBOman, are you still working on this? Just curous. :toothy

PBrennick

Yeah, I hope that old SOB did not scare you off!  :bdg

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website