MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Is it legal ?

Started by jdoe, April 07, 2006, 12:52:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdoe

Hi,

I would like to know if it is legal to distribute a freeware that is build with the following Microsoft program...

Resource Compiler 5.2.3690.0 from Windows 2003 SP1 SDK
Resource To Object Converter 8.00.40310.37 from Windows 2003 SP1 SDK
Macro Assembler 6.15.8803 from VS6 Processor Pack
Incremental Linker 8.00.40310.39 from Windows 2003 SP1 SDK

And what about including source code in the distribution package ?

Am I breaking any copyrights or laws ?

Thanks

PBrennick

jdoe,
You can distribute your project and its sources.  You CANNOT distribute the tools used to create the project.

You cannot distribute the Resource Compiler 5.2.3690.0 from Windows 2003 SP1 SDK
You cannot distribute the Resource To Object Converter 8.00.40310.37 from Windows 2003 SP1 SDK
You cannot distribute the Macro Assembler 6.15.8803 from VS6 Processor Pack
You cannot distribute the Incremental Linker 8.00.40310.39 from Windows 2003 SP1 SDK

You can distribute your sources, this includes *.asm, *.rc , *.bmp, *.ico and *.bat, etc.  There may be other files especially if you are using one of the IDEs.  If your project builds a DLL then you can ditribute this DLL along with the lib, inc, def and exp files.  If your project creates an EXE, you can distribute this EXE and any files that are directly created by this EXE.

In general, if there is a file that you are unsure of, just ask in the forum.  Someone will know.

hth,
Paul

The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

jdoe

Thanks Paul,

I was hoping this answer  :P

BTW, I like the "Never be satisfied" below your signature. It's a kind of way to say that knowledge is not an ending but a starting point.

Maybe you'll like this one (I took it from BogdanOntanu web site)...

A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add,
but when there is nothing left to take away.
- Antoine de Saint Exupery

PBrennick

jdoe,
Yes, that is a good saying.  BogdanOntanu is certainly a very wise man.

Neve be satisfied, yes that is a truth, also.  All I know is that I would not want to live in a world without horizons, if you take my meaning.

Have a happy,
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website