how to build, run, and debug on MASM615?

Started by dudv, April 05, 2006, 12:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dudv

Hi, everyone...
I am very new in programming on MASM6.15, and my question is:
How could I see a "hello.asm" program run?
I have been trying to run it from DOS(win/xp/sp2) but, when I type "masm hello;" I get this massage...
"'masm' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file."
in advance thanks for the help... :U

PBrennick

dudv,
Typing "masm hello;" cannot be reasonably expected to do anything.  As far as I am concerned, you can use any version of ml.exe that you happen to own but for now you really need to download the masm32 project that Hutch has put together and take a look at some of the programs in the examples section.  In the masm32 folder there is a program called qeditor.exe that will allow you to type in source code, compile it and run it as well as doing a lot of other neat things.  Do yourself a favor and get that package ASAP.  Once you know how things work then you can switch to ver. 6.15 or whatever.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

dudv

Thanks, Paul for the advice I will follow it ASAP, but the problem is that, I am taking a class in assembly language, in which, the professor has ask me to create a calendar at least three months, using MASM6.15. That's why I was trying to run programs in the assembler to see how it works, so I can start to do mine, if you have any suggestions, please let me know...
thanks before anything.. :U

PBrennick

One of the examples in masm32 is... hold for impact statement ...a Calendar program!  How cool is that?

BTW:  Download the package and copy your version of ml.exe into the bin directory after backing up the original one.  And remember, you will not do yourself any good if you do not attempt to code your own programs and this forum has rules about that.  Have you read the rules?

If you make a reasonable effort to roll your own and you find your self in trouble, if you post your sources someone will help you but know one will do it all for you.

Good luck and welcome to the board, you will like it here.
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

dudv

Thanks, for the welcome Paul.
Indeed, I have the masm32 I down loaded it before I got a copy from a friend of the masm615 assembler, but since the class was using the masm615 I didn't dig for more on the masm32.
Thank again and, I am about to start.
Xavier...

Mark Jones

Welcome Xavier, and may I suggest that if your programs are going to be DOS 16-bit programs, please post questions here in the 16-Bit DOS Programming forum. If you are making programs for Windows 32-bit however (including Windows Console "DOS" box), you'll get much better help by asking in the Campus forum at top. In either case, enjoy your stay! :bg
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08