MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windows XP Multiple users

Started by shankle, April 02, 2006, 12:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

Please explain multiple users in W XP..
For instance if CCleaner is put on User1 does it also have to be put on user2?
If I delete Kodak EasyShare from user2, it is also deleted it from user1 WHY?

Are these like isolated partitions???
Thanks,
JPS
The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

Ghirai

Depends how you installed the apps.
Most ask if you want to install it for all users, or just one.
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

Mark Jones

Quote from: shankle on April 02, 2006, 12:48:05 PM
Are these like isolated partitions???

No. But depending on your user permissions, you could make anything inaccessible. There are tons of websites out there about XP user profiles, here is one: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_logon.htm
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Tedd

If you install software, it will be installed on the 'machine' -- this means that it is effectively available to any user.
But, access rights may change this. For NTFS drives, the user who installs the software has all access to it. Other users will usually have read access too, but not always have write access to the files - so if the programs try to save settings in files it may not work. Programs which save settings in the registry for each user, should not have this problem.
If a user removes the program, and that user has the access to remove it, then it will be removed from the machine, and so no other users will be able to access it (because it is not there.) For this reason, I usually install software from the admin account, and then only admin can unistall.
There are no separate partitions made - but you could do this if you wanted. There is a folder allocated to each user though (in C:\Documents and settings\...) where the per user files should be saved.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.