FASt Server - Win32 Socket Library and Tutorial ....

Started by James Ladd, January 15, 2005, 02:41:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

James Ladd

All,

I'm pleased to announce that the hyperserve is finally here.
http://www.hyperserve.org

This site combines the two projects I have, myFastServer and myLISP into one site and forum!
hyperserver is a server framework like apache coded in x86 assembler for Linux and Windows.
hyperlisp is an implementation of the LISP language in x86 assembler for Linux and Windows.

Please stop by and I hope you find it worth while.

It's still easly days but I have finally got something there to support the coming work.

Keep well,

Rgs, James.

James Ladd

All,

Sometimes I get this big feeling that I could do the hyperserve project quicker if I did it in 'C'.
I havent gone so far with it in GAS that I would be throwing a lot away if I did change to 'C'.

My goal is to write the fastest server in the world, for Win32 and Linux (compatible) platforms.
I figured using assembler would ensure it was quick, but seriously only parts would need
assembler, if at all.

You all have been really supportive and so have others in this forum, so I thought I would run
this idea of switching to 'C' past you all for comment.

Do you think I can reach my goals using 'C'  better than GAS
Do you think I could reach more people / platforms with 'C' ?
Do you think I could reach more people / platforms with GAS AT&T syntax ?

I know that a 'lot' of people here have been eager for me to do something in assembler but im feeling this
would be at a hobbyist level only and may not be a large endevour.

I want to write a server that is distributed as part of a linux distro and used in preference to Apache.

Maybe later today this 'rant' and 'feeling' will pass but Im still interested in your thoughts.

Rgs, James.

drhowarddrfine

Sometimes when working on a project I feel the same way.  "This would have been easier in C," as I pull my hair out.  But then, when I code in C and realize I can't get the code to do what I want I rant "This would have been easy in asm!"  It holds me back from starting on some things when the choice is up to me.  I fret too much over which to use. 

You would get more people to work on your project, in the open source community, if it was in C. 

James Ladd

drhowardfine,

Thanks for the response.

I want to get stuff done and quickly as there are many things that take up my time, like home and work
life. So getting the most done in the shortest possible time is important to me.

I dont often think I need assembler to get the job done, but I do know I will need it to make certain things
really fast and in some cases like non-blocking data structures, its the only choice I have.

But when you look at the productivity gains in using C then I find it a little hard to justify using assembler
for what is a part time project. Especially as I am not as productive in Assembler as C - yet.

Aaargh the decisions and choices.

ic2

I have an idea to build my own web site on my own computer where web surfers can view my web pages and download files.  I think all i need is DSL or cable and the know-how.

Is this where i should be to start learning how-to in assembler or is this just for Networking like in a business office or something like that.

Thanks in advance for any information about this.  Hope im asking in the right place...

Synfire

ic2,

If you aren't familiar with hosting a website, then I suggest getting commercial hosting. But if you are determined to do it yourself, get a high speed connection (DSL or cable minimum) and a minimal setup computer, by this I mean a PC or Server that doesn't have a lot of extra software running, because your web server is going to need a lot of processes if you end up getting a lot of traffic. Next thing you will need is some decent web server software. You can design your own using FASt Server Library (to keep with this thread) or you can download a free one like Apache or Krillian. Install the web server software and READ THE MANUAL. That is something most people don't do and it would save you a lot of heartache if you would just do it from the git-go. Once that is done just throw your web files in the appropriate documents folder and start sharing content. That's about it for your basic web server. Keeping it up-to-date, secure, and running smoothly is a different story, that takes a lot of time and patience; and honestly it's just easier to pay someone else to do it.

Oh! Also, if you don't care about how fast the site runs, or how good of a server it is.. not saying that the software is a total piece of crap, but.. well.. AnalogX has a free web server that runs in the taskbar, requires no setup except selecting which directory your site is in, and it supports CGI. It's probably the easiest to use, but I wouldn't really recommend it for anything other than sharing a small page for one or two friends as it's not multi-threaded and doesn't really work well under pressure.

QuoteHope im asking in the right place...

This could have probably warranted a new thread... Unless I completely missed your point all together, in which case I'm sorry.

Regards,
Bryant Keller

ic2

Thanks Synfire

That's what i needed to know.  Since i am in no rush and I want to follow James Ladd work because of ASM and to understand things better.   It's great to know that this can be a starting point for what I want to do someday.  I know it's not going to be easy for me by being a total noob on the subject but I'm sure I'll pick up some great pointers and learn a heck of a lot from his project.  I like coding so it makes things much more interesting to me.

QuoteThis could have probably warranted a new thread... Unless I completely missed your point all together, in which case I'm sorry.

I thought about that while i was skinny though this thread and figured what better place to ask if this Project is Web Usable and not just for office style networking.  Now that i know for sure I'll be reading it more thoroughly, than latter to get involve.

Thanks again Synfire for all of those great points ...  I'll be weighing each and every one of them as i go.  All i want is it to be small and simple with real knowledge of how everything work.   Be back soon...

Quoteand READ THE MANUAL.

I understand your point.   and I will read deeply on all that i try ...

Mark Jones

...It's too bad nothing ever became of this. :boohoo:
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

ecube

Quote from: Mark Jones on May 20, 2008, 04:38:44 PM
...It's too bad nothing ever became of this. :boohoo:

it will, the author pm'd me as we were gonna work together to get it going with someone else but I got so incredibly caughtup at my job and with life I never got back with him :\ hopefully they been working on it, or atleast not filed it away. As this is a outstanding project that needs to be continued.