MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Vista delayed till next year.

Started by drhowarddrfine, March 22, 2006, 12:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

That we could be so lucky ?

Did you read the article in TheRegister about Bill spitting the dummy on the $100 Linux box for developing countries ? Its tuff to run the Microsoft vision of Windows without a high speed cable connection and at least a grands worth of hardware.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

drhowarddrfine

You know the saying, people rise to the level of their incompetence.  I think MS has done this.  They are now a tool for the large corporations and have outgrown the every day guy.  They have forgotten who butters their bread and now cater to only those who can afford it.  There is the huge opportunity, an opening, for someone to chisel at that crack and force it open.

P1

That much longer support, so we can get our investment out of XP, before M$ forces us out.

Regards,  P1  :8)

asmfan

i think that MS Vista (aka Longhorn) is delayed cuz there is no such hardware yet that could run it in a sensible speed;) not to speak about DX10... with its shaders...
Russia is a weird place

skywalker

Quote from: drhowarddrfine on March 22, 2006, 12:21:01 AM
But you expected it, didn't you?

Let's give them credit. They wanna make sure they don't have to have anymore SPs and fixes.

Not !!! -)

"When you are over the hill, your speed picks up."

Mincho Georgiev

asmfan, you got good point. Even if there is such a hardware, it is defenately not mine  :lol
I had already tryed the beta and on my PC /AMD Barton 2500+ ,1024MB ram, ...e.t.c./ is been a real horror.
Besides i can't really say that i'm a fan of a child's interface, nomatter how fantabulous is it.

hutch--

Its probably nothing that quad Opterons and 128 gig of ram will not fix. I wonder who will be the first software producer to create the one terrabyte Hello World ?  :bg
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

drhowarddrfine

sluggy

Quote from: asmfan on March 22, 2006, 05:32:48 PM
i think that MS Vista (aka Longhorn) is delayed cuz there is no such hardware yet that could run it in a sensible speed;) not to speak about DX10... with its shaders...
I first saw Longhorn about 3 years ago, and like you say it was a monster, it took about 15 minutes to boot up on a high end laptop. It was an early beta, so performance would not have been considered by then. At the time we were informed that it was being designed to run on processors of no less than 4-5GHz frequency. But if MS was to release it now it would have very few sales, simply because people do not upgrade their machines very often, and even a lot of new machines are still well below the 4GHz mark.

Also, (re)engineering a new OS like Windows is simply a mammoth job. You can guess at when you will deliver, but that is simply a guess, and consumers have to realise that. MS has a lot of holes to patch, but the result should be a nice stable OS that is reasonably secure. Hopefully.

drhowarddrfine

There are three articles out now all saying pretty much the same thing.  Vista is just one big ugly gorilla that hasn't been tamed.  Security delays are only a coverup for the real problem and that is Vista is just a huge mess.

Mark Jones

WHY must Microsoft OS's keep doubling in size and system requirements?

Q: How much RAM does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Windows 3.1: 160kB. Windows 95: 512kB. Windows NT: 1MB. Windows XP: 5MB. Longhorn: 25MB

WHY, when screwing in a lightbulb is a trivial task that doesn't need more than 160kB to perform???
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

P1

Quote from: Mark Jones on March 28, 2006, 05:34:37 PM
WHY must Microsoft OS's keep doubling in size and system requirements?

Q: How much RAM does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Windows 3.1: 160kB. Windows 95: 512kB. Windows NT: 1MB. Windows XP: 5MB. Longhorn: 25MB

WHY, when screwing in a lightbulb is a trivial task that doesn't need more than 160kB to perform???
HLL Bloat !!!  It's not the job, it's the person doing the job.   :dazzled:

Regards,  P1  :8)

MichaelW

QuoteWHY must Microsoft OS's keep doubling in size and system requirements?

Because the feature set is continually expanding. IMO the current Beta 2 system requirements are not at all unreasonable. With the addition of a DVD drive my 5+ year old P3-500 would easily meet the requirements.

A computer with one gigahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 300 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system); Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

512 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended

5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space

A video adapter capable of supporting the Longhorn Display Driver Model (LDDM) drivers used in

A DVD drive

Windows Vista Beta 2 Migration Step by Step Guide

eschew obfuscation