News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

TabsRule.asm -- A simple dlg tab controls example

Started by tomkane, September 29, 2006, 12:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomkane

This is a little program that I found in the ASM Community Messageboard in a contribution by latigo. It's a few years old. I couldn't find a comparable example of tab controls in a dialog box in Masm32, so I worked with this one.

Unfortunately, when I tried (a few weeks ago) to verify that everything worked in a Masm32 standard fashion, I couldn't get a compile to work. I eventually gained enough knowledge to come back to it and fix it up.

I don't claim authorship of this program. It's still latigo's. I only brought it up to the coding standards that I see on Masm32: I restructured the code, renamed a few variables, and simplified the .rc file. (The original .rc file referenced a missing .h file.)

During my research, I learned about the Masm32 macros (in dialogs.inc) that will do much of the tab control processing automatically -- in a communication from Ratch to Hutch. I think that using the TabsRule.asm technique, however, will give me more flexibility. That's why I went to this extra trouble.

If anyone finds this useful, please take advantage of it. Feedback is welcome.

[attachment deleted by admin]

PBrennick

Tom,
Actually, this example was first posted on the masm32 board in June of 2004.  Here is the project that was posted then.  I forget who posted it but it must be in the archive somewhere.  As you can see, masm32 has no problem assembling it.  The person who psted it on the other board probably reconfigured it for nasm32 or something similar.  I don't know because you did not include the original project.

EDIT:  I forgot to say that I am aware that you had no knowledge of this previous post and you worked hard to produce something for all of us.  All I can say is thank you very much and I hope you continue to do such things.

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

Ehtyar

I heard tabs were a bastard to implement, and while these projects prove that theory, it will also be extremely helpful if ever i decide to use tabs myself. Thanks guys :)

tomkane

Thanks for the feedback.  :U

Paul, no, I didn't know about the previous post of the TabsRule project, although I searched a lot. I'm almost embarassed that I didn't look hard enough to find it. But I will continue to post what seem to be projects that others might find interesting.

Tom

Shantanu Gadgil

QuoteI heard tabs were a bastard to implement..
Second that...they are quite irritating while implementing the child dialog crap.

Mostly everything that can be done using TAB+child dialog can be done using a listview(on the left)+child dialog  AND for tabs inside tabs (YECH) there is the treeview(on the left) and child dialog on the right.

This should be made a "UI rule" or something... :bg :bg Anyway...that my two "lower denomination currency" :) :)

Regards,
Shantanu
To ret is human, to jmp divine!