News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

API

Started by skywalker, March 14, 2006, 11:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

I am trying to figure out what this tells me. Is it telling what OS use the particular API that it references?

Like it'll work on Win95 -> WinXP
Is the header file useful just for those using C ?

What does Win32 mean when it has a NO there.

WinExec   
Windows NT   Yes
Win95   Yes
Win32s   Yes
Import Library   kernel32.lib
Header File   winbase.h
Unicode   No
Platform Notes   None

donkey

It does not have Win32, it has Win32s. That was a version of Windows developped for the transition from 16 to 32 bit machines (ie IBMAT) that would allow you to emulate the 32 bit API on a 16 bit machine. All in all a useless no starter that you can ignore and that isn't included in any API references that were written after 1995. You should download the platform SDK, it contains the most up to date reference.

PSDK free download
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

asmfan

due to my Win32.hlp & MSDN (april 2000)
WinExec is supported since Windows 3.1 (Win32s - by Win32.hlp) or Windows 95(by MSDN) and due to compatibility is supported till now (NT kernel). it only supports ANSI strings NOT unicode ones. It (function) reside in kernel32.dll and parameters meaning is declared in winbase.h
Russia is a weird place

skywalker

Quote from: asmfan on March 14, 2006, 01:26:19 PM
due to my Win32.hlp & MSDN (april 2000)
WinExec is supported since Windows 3.1 (Win32s - by Win32.hlp) or Windows 95(by MSDN) and due to compatibility is supported till now (NT kernel). it only supports ANSI strings NOT unicode ones. It (function) reside in kernel32.dll and parameters meaning is declared in winbase.h

Thanks for the info.

I have a computer with a C: and D: drive. D: has a restore partition on it in FAT 32 with
NTFS on the C: drive. My question is, is it one physical drive partitioned into 2 parts ?
And I guess how can you tell.

asmfan

the answer is simple - take a look inside your case;) if there are 2 HDDs you know what it means:)
Russia is a weird place

Tedd

[login as admin]

Right-click(my computer) -> manage... -> disk management

This will show you all the partitions and which disks they are on.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

skywalker

Quote from: Tedd on March 15, 2006, 12:33:33 PM
[login as admin]

Right-click(my computer) -> manage... -> disk management

This will show you all the partitions and which disks they are on.

Thanks.

"Live and do today, there may not be a tomorrow."