MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

More info and research

Started by skywalker, March 06, 2006, 09:49:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skywalker

I'll go thru the sequence.

I started out with WinXP Professional with SP1 working fine on my system.
Decided to upgrade and used the upgrade CD.

During the process of upgrading, drive was formatted to NTFS from Fat32.

CD got to the 3rd step of copying files to HD for the upgrade and won't go any furthur.

IF I boot it up, it asks for the XP SP2 CD, and just repeats itself.

Hope that is clear.

Checking Microsoft site, there are 2 possible fixes, one is a BIOS and the other gives no technical details.

Since SP2 so far has done much "servicing", I like to get some feedback so something new is added to the list of what's gone wrong. :-)

Can I just reformat the NTFS drive using a floppy disk with fdisk and format on it. ?
Should I go back to FAT32 ?

Thanks.

Mark Jones

Skywalker, I doubt that NTFS is causing your problem. Have you tried running SCANDISK from the recovery console?

More likely is it some incompatibility between your hardware and SP2. Apparently some people have problems with SP2, for various reasons.

You said that XP SP1 was working fine, right? On a FAT32 drive? If so then consider installing XP on a blank NTFS drive, then install SP1, then install SP2.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

skywalker

Quote from: Mark Jones on March 06, 2006, 10:39:32 PM
Skywalker, I doubt that NTFS is causing your problem. Have you tried running SCANDISK from the recovery console?

More likely is it some incompatibility between your hardware and SP2. Apparently some people have problems with SP2, for various reasons.

You said that XP SP1 was working fine, right? On a FAT32 drive? If so then consider installing XP on a blank NTFS drive, then install SP1, then install SP2.

Do I use the F8 key to get to the recovery console ?

Or it may have been one of the pics offered during the part of the installation that I got to.

I sure hope I don't have to do option 2. :-(