MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

sections sequence

Started by asmfan, March 04, 2006, 06:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

asmfan

hi fellows.
i wonder if there any mechanism to define the sections sequence strictly by hands in 32-bit ASM like if it is <.alpha> <.dosseg> in 16-bit??
for example: the first goes code second import and the next data.
Russia is a weird place

BogdanOntanu

We do need more information on what you want to do...

For example I do not really understand what sections in 16 bits?

Here we are usually using 32bits Windows assembly and we do generate PE files that have sections or OBJs into MS COFF or TASM Borland/Intel OBJ format.

There are flags for the compiler or linker about ordering the sections/segments in alphabetical oreder or just in the order they appear in the file.
But normally we do not care about this order into normal applications. It is all done by the compiler/assembler or the linker...

Do you mean DOS or 16 bit old Win 3.11 ? or what?

for TASM:

Syntax:  TASM [options] source [,object] [,listing] [,xref]
/a,/s          Alphabetic or Source-code segment ordering
Ambition is a lame excuse for the ones not brave enough to be lazy.
http://www.oby.ro

MichaelW

If you attempt to use the .ALPHA or .SEQ directives in a Win32 source, the assembler returns a warning:

warning A4015: directive ignored with /coff switch

And there is no effect on the segment order.

eschew obfuscation

asmfan

Bogdan, i sections/segments were in 16bit apps and are in 32bit too, but the only difference is the addressing mode applyed to them (tiny, small,... and flat) U know it. i mean the order/sequence of <.code>, <.data>, import etc. sections in 32bit PE *.exe file.
for example i do need the last section to be the data not resources... what should i do?
Russia is a weird place