MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

problem while assembling modules

Started by Shantanu Gadgil, March 02, 2006, 12:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shantanu Gadgil

Hi Pelle,
I have asked this question before, but at that time the files' layout was not appropriate. Now it is. :green The *problem* :toothy still persists.

The problem is the location where the "module.asm" file gets assembled. (zip file attached to demonstarte issue)

The solution you had suggested was include multiple include directories, which is fine, but the problem was more from "using an IDE" point of view...where we already have _FULL PATH_ of the .asm file in hand.

Scenario is that multiple projects use common code, thus storing the common code at one place is more appropriate.
The current workaround I am doing is using a batch file to copy all the objs from the COMMON directory into the projects directory.

(In the RadASM project, use "Assemble Modules" and then "Link")
(Also for the two different sets (MASM/POASM) you will have to change the assembler path in the menu: Option > Set Paths -> App)

[attachment deleted by admin]
To ret is human, to jmp divine!

Mark Jones

"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Shantanu Gadgil

To Mark,
The problem not completely solved. The solution given by Ketil in the thread you have mentioned was for switching between two assemblers.

Also the method he suggested involves directly editing the .rap file and reopening the project (would like it more if that were possible throught the IDE itself)

The POASM "issue" of "compiling the file where it is stored" still exists.

Its not an issue directly either (you can use the outfile parameter of POASM), its more of a "RadASM+POASM" issue :)

A lot of issues regarding the paths would be resolved if RadASM were doing some thing differently...like having macros for "project name", "project dir", (like $ProjectDir, $ProjectName, etc) (YES!!!...MS IDE style :) ) (have written to Ketil about a few ideas regarding that...lets see where that goes :) )

Anyway...for now what I am doing is including a batch file in my RadASM project which will compile and copy the required modules into the current directory from their common location. (This will keep the Link option of RadASM unmodified) :)

But anyway...being that RadASM is _TRULY AMAZING_ and reduces a lot of work, I am not complaining too much. :)

P.S.
Thanks for the name complement :)
To ret is human, to jmp divine!