MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

StrongArm

Started by donkey, February 26, 2006, 04:40:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey

Hi PellesC,

I am trying to start some embedded programming using a Symbol pocket PC with an SA-1110 StrongArm CPU. I was told that your assembler supported this configuration. I will definitely take a look at it for the project I have in mind. My question is do you have any reference material on StrongArm, I have been sadly unsuccessful in finding anything at Intel that even resembles an instruction set reference and example code is non-existent as far as I can tell. My platform will be Windows CE, a small dialog based GUI application would be a great starting point.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

petezl

Hi Donkey,

Don't get into the forum much these days! Too much other stuff to do.  Anyway saw that your post was looking lonely...

I had moderate success with programming for strongARM. Here is the link for the only instructions I know of
http://www.heyrick.co.uk/assembler/index.html

I created three identical dialogs with a few trimmings in masm32, Pelles C and for ppc using pelles and seem to remember I used some inline asm but got into real difficulties with the intended goal of wrting a simple completely asm prog for ppc.

ms embedded tools are also ok but could get the live debugging to work and I think you really need that when messing around.

If I locate those old dialogs I made, I'll post them.

Anyway, hope that helps!

Peter.
Cats and women do as they please
Dogs and men should realise it.

PellesC

Hello Donkey,

Quote from: donkey on February 26, 2006, 04:40:38 AM
I was told that your assembler supported this configuration.
Yes, it should be able to handle that...

Quote from: donkey on February 26, 2006, 04:40:38 AM
My question is do you have any reference material on StrongArm, I have been sadly unsuccessful in finding anything at Intel that even resembles an instruction set reference and example code is non-existent as far as I can tell.
Well, it's not that easy to find... :'(
I have bits and pieces after several hours with Google, but not in one convenient place...

This link insn't specifically for StrongARM, but you might find it useful anyway - http://www.altera.com/literature/third-party/ddi0100e_arm_arm.pdf

The "simparm.asm" example in my (current) ZIP distribution should work, and is just MessageBox + ExitProcess...

Pelle

donkey

Thank you very much Pelle,

A message box and exit process are a great starting point, shows me how to call API functions and hopefully I can figure out how to construct a proc myself. I hope to get started this weekend though I have been telling myself that for a few months now.

Edgar
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

Thanks very much Jack,

I am busy looking through the instruction set this weekend and trying to go through Pelle's C includes to parse out CE specific equates, quite a few differences from what I can tell so far. I hope to actually start writing later this week. For now the Symbol is just an expensive solitaire game :)

I want to write a progam that reads and parses CSV files, identifies specific UPC codes and updats the file. I want to make a hand held shopping thingy where I scan an item and it keeps track of how much a person is spending, the prices are entered each time an unrecognized UPC is scanned. I'm not the kind of person who would ever use it but it should be an interesting project for me.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

PBrennick

Sounds like a 'Proof of Concept' to me.  I hope you succeed, it is a good idea.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

P1

IntelĀ® StrongARM* SA-1110 Microprocessor Developer's Manual Download:
http://www.intel.com/design/strong/manuals/278240.htm
According to Intel's Arm Developer's Manual, the Programming info is here:
http://www.arm.com/documentation/books/1183.html

Be sure to check out the Software Developement Tools in the sidebar.

Regards,  P1  :8)