News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

EWW ESS BEE

Started by Mark_Larson, January 11, 2005, 06:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark_Larson

This is a reply to a forum message on win32asm forum.  I couldn't add a file there, so moving the message here so I can.

Quote from: f0dder
Indeed it does, and I knew this already. It's not even possible for a single device to use the full bandwidth, is it? And I really hate how many companies are labelling their stuff "USB2 hi-speed" when it only runs somewhat faster than usb1.1. I guess with pendrives there's some physical limitation because of the type of flash used?

Not that I know of.  I just figured the manufacturer's were morons.  ;)  I read a comparison on Anandtech of different pendrives.  Their was actually quite a wide range of transfer speeds.  They even as a joke got two pendrives working in a software RAID configuration and benchmarked that as well.

Yup. SiS chose the same strategy for their 645DX chipset, and my MSI-645E max2 has a NEC (I think) USB2 controller. Means there are separate USB1 and USB2 ports, and the nice little 18-in-1 cardreader + 3port UBS2 hub can only run usb1.1 speed on my box (yes, plugged in usb2 port). Nice. My mothers laptop and younger brothers' celeron (both with intel chipset) works just fine and dandy.

AH cool.  I tend to stay with more of the standard stuff unless I am building my own system.

Hehe, world of warcraft has bitten you too? There's one of my friends I rarely get to talk to anymore because of it ;)

Yep, and I fit in REAL good to.  A 35 year old playing with all the 15 year olds.  ;)

Quote from: f0dderPS: My upcoming AMD64 box will have a nvidia nForce4 chipset, hope they're doing USB2 properly.

Yep.  I am going to get AMD64 for my next system to.  I am going to try and con hutch into giving us a forum for it ;)  Might not generate enough traffic, so not sure if he'll do it or not.  But I'm dying to get an AMD64 processor.  I did get to play with one for a few months at work.   Ran Fedora linux on it and used YASM and 64-bit GCC to compile 64-bit APPS :)

I think I found the code.  The bad news is I had 10 or 12 differnet versions of it, and I'm not sure what is the latest.  I haven't had a chance to look at it closely to see.  Also it is set to compile with Borland C for DOS.  It also checks for an ICH2 ( remember those in a previous post?).  Because it uses some hardcoded I/O ports for the ICH2 that it uses for USB.  You'll have to fix that to work with what the USB I/O ports are on your machine ( you could modify it to just pass in the base address).  The code is ugly because it was never designed to be distributed.

Second thing.  I found a cool tool that came out after I wrote my tool.  It is called usbcomp.  It let's you single step through transactions under windows.  That's useful for getting a feel for how transactions work.

EDIT: It wouldn't let me add the second program that runs under Windows, because it is too big.  I'll see if I can dig up a link for it on usb.org.

EDIT2: They don't have the tool I have for Windows on their site anymore.  So if you want it you can email me on the forum with your email address, and I will send it to you.  On the plus side I found a tool webpage on the usb.org website.

http://www.usb.org/developers/developers/tools/

[attachment deleted by admin]
BIOS programmers do it fastest, hehe.  ;)

My Optimization webpage
htttp://www.website.masmforum.com/mark/index.htm

Mark_Larson

couple points if you are going to run the program

1) Requires borland C to compile

2) Has to run from a bootable floppy because it directly talks to the I/O for the USB host controller

3) You have to run MODE from the floppy and set it to 50 rows, that's needed because the program does text graphics to display transactions visually.  The QueueHeads and Transfer Descriptors get drawn.

4) You have to have a PS/2 mouse and keyboard hooked up ( not USB).  USB won't work because we will be using the USB controller to run our own transactions.

5) I can't remember if I turn off USB legacy support in my program or not.  But to be safe you should probably turn it off.  We will be changing the base address of the USB transactions, and unless it is properly turned off, the BIOS might have problems.

6) The program uses the PS/2 mouse.  You can select transactions and it will pop up a box with all the bits defined for that dword you clicked on in the transaction.

7) hit 'r' to run a transaction.

8) The program uses UHCI.  If you hook it up to a system that uses OHCI it won't work.

9)  Be a cool dude and hot plug a USB device.  You can watch the bits change in the I/O ports for the USB host controller ( way cool!)

My Optimization webpage

donkey

Hi Mark,

If the program is under a couple of MB (say <3MB) I will host it for you. Just email it to my personal EMail as my others have limits, I will PM you the email address and you can send it if you like.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Mark_Larson

I appreciate that Donkey.  I already emailed it to f0dder.  I don't think anyone else on this board is masochistic enough to be interested in USB programming.  If I'm wrong, and you want me to send the file to host on Donkey's site, then speak up now, or forever hold your peace :)

My Optimization webpage

P1

Piece, Piece, Piece, I want a piece.  So I will not hold it, until I have it.  ;-)

Regards,  P1  :8)

PS:  I have USB IR reciever (But lost the remote), I would like to investigate on using regular TV remotes with.

MichaelW

If we weren't at least somewhat masochistic we wouldn't be interested in ASM programming :green
eschew obfuscation

Mark_Larson

I stand corrected.  I have erred in under-estimating how masochistics asm programmers are.  It's at home.  I'll email it to Donkey at lunch. ;)

My Optimization webpage

Mark_Larson

My Optimization webpage