News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

More Structs

Started by RedXVII, January 20, 2006, 11:20:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedXVII

Right, this time im trying to put the struct COORD into writeconsoleoutput - but compiler doesnt like it. My form is probably wrong but i dont know the right way of doing this:

bsize     COORD   <>
bcoord   COORD   <>

invoke WriteConsoleOutput, hOutput, OFFSET charArray, bsize, bcoord, OFFSET rect

Compiler, of course, doesnt like this:
error A2114: INVOKE argument type mismatch : argument : 4
error A2114: INVOKE argument type mismatch : argument : 3

COORD is a DWORD in length, and i want to push the whole thing basically. I dont want it to pass the pointer(i think this function actually returns an error if you do).
I can do this...

mov eax, bsize
mov ebx, bcoord
invoke WriteConsoleOutput, hOutput, OFFSET charArray, eax, eax, OFFSET rect

But i dont really want to do it like that especially as i know it can be done another way. Can someone let me know how to do this without moving to eax and ebx first?

Thanks  :U

Tedd

The problem is that COORD isn't a dword, it's a structure. The structure might be 4 bytes long, but it's a structure containing a dword, not a dword.
And if it is only a DWORD, then why are you defining it as a structure? You could do a typedef instead :wink

Anyway, to fix your problem, you should be pushing the dword component of the structure, not the whole structure:

COORD struct
    p    DWORD   ?
COORD ends

invoke WriteConsoleOutput, hOutput, OFFSET charArray, bsize.p, bcoord.p, OFFSET rect
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

RedXVII

Thats the point - i want to push the whole structure and im asking how to do that. Ive had this working fine already doing it without using a variable(struct), just a constant.

Isnt the an easier way that that sloggish way.

something like:

invoke WriteConsoleOutput, hOutput, OFFSET charArray,DWORD bsize,DWORD bcoord, OFFSET rect

? - actually im gonna try that just now - ^^ seems a sensible way of doing it if i were making a compiler...

RedXVII

SWEEEEET!!!!!!! i figured it out  :bg

Basically, olly gave me an idea and it worked a treat - unfortunately its pretty long and i dont know if theres a shorter way of saying the same thing;

invoke WriteConsoleOutput, hOutput, OFFSET charArray, DWORD PTR [bsize],DWORD PTR [bcoord], OFFSET rect

^^ compiles and works great  :U

Tedd

If you want to push a whole structure, you have to push it one dword at a time - there is no shorter way to do it.
(If it was huge, you might consider adjusting esp and copying the memory into the space - but it's still one dword at a time.)
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.