News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Help with MASM

Started by THadnot, February 06, 2006, 06:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

THadnot

I need help with working MASM.  When I try to open as .asm file it says fatal error, and when I try to execute MASM it says "The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications." Am I doing something wrong? I have Windows XP. Please help

hutch--

You have not posted any code at all so there is no way of answering your question. Try posting at least some of your code and tell us how you have tried to build it and there may be a way to help you.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Tedd

Random guess.. :bdg

You need to open .asm files in a text editor (of some kind - even notepad will do.)
I assume your .asm files already have an associated program, and so simply clicking on one will try to open it with that instead.
You can edit the association from mycomputer:tools->folderoptions...,filetypes but make sure you're not messing up something else you might want/need.
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

MichaelW

I seem to recall a post/topic that dealt with the "The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications" problem, but I cannot remember what the cause or solution was, or find the post/topic, either here or on the old forum.

eschew obfuscation

zooba

Quote from: MichaelW on February 06, 2006, 07:19:54 PM
I seem to recall a post/topic that dealt with the "The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications" problem, but I cannot remember what the cause or solution was, or find the post/topic, either here or on the old forum.

It doesn't really sound like a Windows error message. That's the sort of message I'd expect from Linux or BSD

MichaelW

I still cannot recall the cause or solution, but I did find this.

eschew obfuscation

Mincho Georgiev

QuoteCAUSE
This issue may occur if all the following conditions are true:
•   You try to run a 16-bit program.
•   You have installed the MS04-032 Security Update for Microsoft Windows.
•   You have disabled 8.3 file name creation for the NTFS file system.

and i will add:

•   Virus Thread or result of infection

because i've already seen this many times on infected PC's. Reinstalling Windows will fix the problem.

MichaelW

Experimenting I determined that I can trigger this error by running a DOS app after renaming or moving system32\autoexec.nt or system32\config.nt, or by screwing up or deleting the autoexec.nt or config.nt paths in the app's PIF settings. Perhaps THadnot is using an older version of MASM.

eschew obfuscation