News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

How do you create own commander

Started by Rockphorr, January 31, 2006, 09:07:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockphorr

I write Commander for windows dos mode like Norton.
I wonna to support some windows features like LFN at dos mode.
LFN functions of int21h don't work in the dos real mode (no windows background).
Do you use OOP in your dos apps?
I wonna to create well interfaces of my procs to easy use OOP.
So I can use commander modules again at another progs.
My english is at russian school level. I am sorry.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Strike while the iron is hot - Бей утюгом, пока он горячий

gabor

Hi!

My short answer is: yes, you can use OOP for DOS projects, since OOP is a platform independent method.

If i understood your qeustion right you put the accent on DOS. I would say, yes, it is sane to use OOP everywhere when reasonbale and accelerates the developing process.

OOP is not some feature of Windows. OOP is a methodology how to transform your ideas into formal expressions and models and finally the OOP supporting programing languages give you directions how to implement those ideas.

You should choose to use this kind of software engineering method when
- your project is large
- there are well defined (or there seem to be well definable) objects and methods for the entities in your design
- when you know the advantages of OOP and you think that those features can be perfectly used in your work
   such features are: virtual base classes, inheritance, virtual functions, polimorphism

According to the designing schemes recommended when using OOP there are many models and plans to be worked out, that help to identify the objects (the later instances of the classes) including the attributes and methods. This is the structure/static model. The objects have to be able to "communicate" with each other via their methods, this has a dynamic modell. There can be a final, all-in-one modell called the object model.
I just wanted to show that developing a project according precisly to the OOP is not a really simple and easy task. Of course it is modern and popular, but I have seen tons of projects that were made in the name of OOP and were too complex and too resource demanding.

Rockphorr

Quote from: gabor on January 31, 2006, 01:50:58 PM
Hi!

My short answer is: yes, you can use OOP for DOS projects, since OOP is a platform independent method.

If i understood your qeustion right you put the accent on DOS. I would say, yes, it is sane to use OOP everywhere when reasonbale and accelerates the developing process.

OOP is not some feature of Windows. OOP is a methodology how to transform your ideas into formal expressions and models and finally the OOP supporting programing languages give you directions how to implement those ideas.

You should choose to use this kind of software engineering method when
- your projects is large
- there are well defined (or there seem to be well definable) objects and methods for the object in your design
- when you know the advantages of OOP and you think that those features can be perfectly used in your work
   such features are: virtual base classes, inheritance, virtual functions, polimorphism

According to the designing schemes recommended when using OOP there are many models and plans to be worked out, that help to identify the objects (the later instances of the classes) including the attributes and methods. This is the structure/static model. The objects have to be able to "communicate" with each other via their methods, this has a dynamic modell. There can be a final, all-in-one modell called the object model.
I just wanted to show that developing a project according precisly to the OOP is not a really simple and easy task. Of course it is modern and popular, but I have seen tons of projects that were made in the name of OOP and were too complex and too resource demanding.

Gabor, I know it.

Tedd

1. Your question is not very clear - the subject and message do not seem to be linked.
   Are you asking if you must use OOP to create your own commander?
   Do you want to know if other members use OOP?
   What do you mean by 'commander' - a commandline interpreter? midnight commander? ...?

2. Do not insult other members.

3. There is an "insert image" button when composing a message, but this uses a url reference.
   To attach an image, compress it into a zip file, then attach as a file (open "Additional Options...")
No snowflake in an avalanche feels responsible.

gabor

Hi Rockphorr!

I didn't really understand your question, since OOP is a method and dos is an OS. There is no restriction in OOP for the target OS...

I'm glad you know all the stuff I mentioned above, but there are many who don't know the quarter of it. :thumbu
And I'm sure that I could mention some points of the OOP that can be new even for you... :thumbu
Finally it is not necessary to quote a whole post to refer to it...

I too wait for your question with the 'How do you create own commander' subject.

Greets, Gábor

Rockphorr

Quote from: gabor on February 03, 2006, 07:10:44 PM
Hi Rockphorr!

I didn't really understand your question, since OOP is a method and dos is an OS. There is no restriction in OOP for the target OS...

I'm glad you know all the stuff I mentioned above, but there are many how don't know the quarter of it. :thumbu
And I'm sure that I could mention some points of the OOP that can be new even for you... :thumbu
Finally it is not necessary to quote a whole post to refer to it...

I too wait for your question with the 'How do you create own commander' subject.

Greets, Gábor

What do you think about fragments??
Greets, Rockphorr

MichaelW

Rockphorr,

I assume that you are working on a shell app like Norton Commander.

Supporting LFNs should be no big problem, you can get at least most of the necessary information from Ralf Brown's Interrupt list.

An HTML version is here:

http://www.ctyme.com/rbrown.htm

And the download version here:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ralf/files.html

Look in the interrupt list starting at interrupt 21h, function 71h. You are aware that these functions require Windows 95 or later, or perhaps a more recent DOS with LFN support?

I think for this type of project OOP would far more trouble than it is worth. Assuming that everything is properly organized, you can reuse the source modules by including them in a new project, or the object modules by linking them with the new project, or by placing them in a library and linking the library with the new project.

eschew obfuscation

Rockphorr

Quote from: MichaelW on February 16, 2006, 12:27:26 AM
Rockphorr,

I assume that you are working on a shell app like Norton Commander.

Supporting LFNs should be no big problem, you can get at least most of the necessary information from Ralf Brown's Interrupt list.

An HTML version is here:

http://www.ctyme.com/rbrown.htm

And the download version here:

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~ralf/files.html

Look in the interrupt list starting at interrupt 21h, function 71h. You are aware that these functions require Windows 95 or later, or perhaps a more recent DOS with LFN support?

I think for this type of project OOP would far more trouble than it is worth. Assuming that everything is properly organized, you can reuse the source modules by including them in a new project, or the object modules by linking them with the new project, or by placing them in a library and linking the library with the new project.

Hi,
Already I have created few libs for output (set_colors,set_coords,out_char ...), process(measure_string,comare_strings,convert_2chars_to_hex_byte,...), ...
See my result screenshot at we.zip