News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Is this normal?

Started by PD, December 29, 2005, 04:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD

Hey all, i'm new to all this. I have just assembled the very first program in Randall Hyde's Art of Assembly Programming (The Hello Program), it assembled ok with no problems as expected but the file ended up being 6kb. And when i looked at it with olly debug, it is full of illegal errors and exceptions and loads of other stuff. Is it because this is just a quick program to show you how it works or what? I'm just curious to know why all these errors are in there. Have i got my assembler set up right? Maybe there is nothing wrong but as i said i am just curious as to why it is chock full of errors.

Many Thanks PD

MichaelW

I'm not sure what you are seeing in OllyDbg, but if you are compiling this source:

program helloWorld;

#include( "stdlib.hhf" )

begin helloWorld;

stdout.put( "Hello World", nl ); 

end helloWorld;

Then the exe should be 6KB, and if it compiled without error it should run OK.

eschew obfuscation

PD

MichaelW,

That is the code i assembled and it did assemble ok and runs ok, it's just that i wanted to see what happens to the code once assembled (just curious). Inside ollydbg it had a big list of invalid stuff. Maybe i should just ignore it as long as the program works. I thought i had set HLA up wrong but all seems to be ok. Thanks anyway, PD