How to enable SSE2, SSE3, 3DNow Professional, AMD64 and EM64T instructions?

Started by Snouphruh, September 13, 2005, 08:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snouphruh

Quote from: gabor on October 10, 2005, 07:54:22 AM
Well, you might have not fully understood me. If the new version of ML is not a freeware or shareware DO NOT SHARE IT! At least do not advertise this on the forum!

I have understood you very clearly!
I just wanted to say I can share it if anyone is in need of it. That's all.
I share not the full package, just one ML.
If it's a trouble, I won't do that anymore. Ok?

piece, friendship, love?

rags

Quote from: gabor on October 10, 2005, 07:27:27 AM

I think the amount of software piracy shows the social and economical state of a country very well. In my opinion it is a shame when a country I mean the authorities let such shops proceed with illegal business... Corruption, crime... don't make a good ad for a country!

Gabor,
I agree with you.
I have seen news articles about how organized crime in Russia is involved with the distribution of ilegally copied software, with the apparent compliance of the authorities(ie: government).
Because when law enforcement officials from other countries make complaints about the practice, nothing ever gets done to curb the iilegal activities of  individuals or groups of people known to be involved with the piracy.
Just my two cents worth.
Rags
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

JFG

I think Microsoft does offer a free version of ML 7.1x.  Specifically, it offers something called Microsoft Visual C++ Toolkit 2003 for free, which is the compiler out of Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 .NET Professional Edition, as well as another package called Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition, which has 64-bit code support, but cannot be used to make publishable software.  These can be found at <http://msdn.microsoft.com/visualc/vctoolkit2003/> and <http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc> respectively.  They say that the only catch with MSVC Toolkit 2003 is that it does not come with the Visual Studio IDE, so it has to be used as a command line compiler.  I suppose they figure this is enough of a penalty for all those programmers out there who are now thoroughly spoiled by the custom of using IDEs' GUIs and other such features, though this of course doesn't exactly prevent anybody from using third-party IDE-like programs.  There is one real catch though:  this compiler requires Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP, so all those of us who don't have a computer with any of those operating systems cannot use this 'freebee' compiler.  MSVC 2005 Express Edition seems to have equally steep requirements; I could not find the minimum hardware requirements for MSVC Toolkit 2003, but those for MSVC 2005 Express Edition are a 600+ MHz CPU (1 GHz recommended), 192 MB RAM (256 MB recommended), and 500 MB hard drive space for a minimum installation, or 1.3 GB for a full installation.  Okay, so it's not completely free - strictly speaking - but at least for anybody lucky enough to have a computer that meets those requirements, that's a go.  I don't suppose though that many people who lack a computer like that have much use for the added CPU support in ML 7.1x anyway.

Snouphruh

It seems that my PC meets those requirements:
MB Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
CPU AMD Athlon XP 3200+
RAM Hynix DDR500 256 Mb x 2
VC Asus nVidia GeForce FX5700 128 Mb AGP 8x
SB Creative Audigy 5.1
LS120 3.5" 120 Mb
FDD Mitsumi 3.5" 1.44 Mb
HDD Seagate 200 Gb SATA
CDRW Asus CRW-5232AS 52x32x52x
DVD Asus E616 16x48x
Case Inwin Q700 + PSU Hiper 520W ATX
KB BTC 8190
Mouse A4 Tech RP-49 Wireless Optic
Monitor Samsung 959NF
I bought it 1.5 years ago. I have nothing upgraded for last year.
I'm about to upgrade it in this summer (maybe autumn) to:
MB Asus A8N-SLI
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+
RAM Hynix DDR500 512 Mb x 4
VC Asus nVidia GeForce 6600 GT SLI x 2
SB Creative Audigy 2 ZS
DVDRW Asus DRW-1608P
Monitor Samsung 913N
It takes about 3 months to accumulate the money for this upgrade.
I have any software I need, like Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2, Microsoft Office 2003 Professional, Microsoft Visual Studio 2003 .NET, Microsoft Platform SDK, Adobe Photoshop CS2, Borland Delphi 2005, Borland C++ Builder 6, and many many more (WinRAR, ACDSee, Far Manager and etc.).
I'm awaiting for the next version of Microsoft Windows.