News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Visual Studio 2005 90-Day Trial disk

Started by Robert Collins, December 14, 2005, 12:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

I just received my copy of Visual Studio 2005 90-Day Trial disk. However, it came as a DVD-ROM disk. Does Microsoft assume everyone has DVD-ROM drives? Well, I do not have a DVD-ROM drive. I only have CD-ROM drives.

Does anyone know if this trial version is also available on CD? If so, how do I obtain it? When I ordered it I did not see anyplace where I could chose the media.

sluggy

All of MS's stuff is now being sent out on DVD - and it makes sense, you can fit way more on it and it lowers their costs. And you can pick up DVD Roms brand new for about NZ$40 (circa US$25), so they are easy enough to get for most people. Have you considered downloading the express versions of VS instead?

Robert Collins

Well, considering the cost, I suppose I could go and get me a DVD ROM drive. I'm thinking, though, if I am going to get a DVD-ROM drive I might as well get one that also plays movies (I guess they already do seeing that it's DVD) but more so a read-write drive so I can edit movies etc.   

rags

Robert,
Just keep your eyes open for deals. If you live in the U.S., the office supply chain, Staples sometimes has deals.
I recently picked up a Pacific Digital dual layer, dual format DVD drive for $39 US after the rebate.
So the prices are comming down, just got to keep on the lookout for deals.
Rags
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

sluggy

Quote from: rags on December 14, 2005, 03:55:22 PM
I recently picked up a Pacific Digital dual layer, dual format DVD drive for $39 US after the rebate.
Yeah, dual layer is the way to go, but the media is still very expensive, if you can even find it. But do yourself a favour - don't buy one of the cheap or unknown brands if you are looking for dual layer multi-format, they can often be unreliable, so that your discs can't be read on another drive. Just read a few reviews before you buy  :8)

Robert Collins

Quote from: rags on December 14, 2005, 03:55:22 PM
Robert,
Just keep your eyes open for deals. If you live in the U.S., the office supply chain, Staples sometimes has deals.
So the prices are comming down, just got to keep on the lookout for deals.
Rags

I'm keeping my eyes open for that DVD drive you mentioned but as yet have not seen it. I saw this one in a retail store and someone else told me it was an excellant drive. It is the Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD Dual Layer for US $80.00. What do you think of this model?

comrade

sluggy

Quote from: Robert Collins on December 18, 2005, 12:39:16 AMI saw this one in a retail store and someone else told me it was an excellant drive. It is the Sony DRU-810A DVD/CD Dual Layer for US $80.00. What do you think of this model?
I have that model, and it is excellent. I researched first, and according to the reviews i saw the Sony wasn't the absolute best (it was second), but i picked it because of Sony's excellent track record in optical products.

But then you also have to remember that Sony was the company that unleashed a rootkit upon unsuspecting consumers, and still denies any wrong-doing to this day, buying one of their products is implicitly supporting that company  :bdg

Mark Jones

Hi there, long time no talk. :) Check out http://www.pricewatch.com - that's a great place to find deals on all kinds of tech. Why right now there is a NEC ND-3550ABK 16X DVD+/-R/RW/DL burner for an amazing $40 us. No middlemen, no advertising, no name brands = big savings.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Ghirai

Mark,

You know some similar online stores that ship to europe too?
MASM32 Project/RadASM mirror - http://ghirai.com/hutch/mmi.html

PBrennick

Sluggy,
What does that mean, Sony unleashed a rootkit.  It sounds like a bad thing but I am unaware of what it is.  Getting old and out of touch, I guess.

Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

daydreamer

Quote from: Mark Jones on January 21, 2006, 07:58:35 AM
Hi there, long time no talk. :) Check out http://www.pricewatch.com - that's a great place to find deals on all kinds of tech. Why right now there is a NEC ND-3550ABK 16X DVD+/-R/RW/DL burner for an amazing $40 us. No middlemen, no advertising, no name brands = big savings.
you cant trust those sites, in the news a lowprice chain stopped paying pricerunner and they immediatly put their products lower down in the list

Mark Jones

Well it is pretty cut-throat around PriceWatch.com. Vendors often compete in terms of pennies on the dollar; it's not uncommon to see three or four vendors "duking-it-out" for the lowest price. Some bigger vendors like NewEgg actually sell some products lower than cost to intice other sales. I bought my DVD writer from NewEgg through PriceWatch for $80 at a time when the same model was being sold everywhere else on PriceWatch for over a hundred... great deals can be found if you look hard enough. I've bought memory, hard drives, CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, video cards, all kinds of stuff from vendors there... and never had a problem. Just keep in mind that when an item says "OEM packaging" they mean "no fancy box, no manuals", etc. Of course read the fine print and use reputable companies too.

Ghirai, sorry I do not know of an alternative in the UK region. :'(

Hi Paul, that RootKit issue can be read about here.
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Robert Collins

Now that you mentioned it, I have a question about OEM.

Is it probable (not possible) that the vendor of a OEM CD (let's say Windows 2000, for example) can and will add and remove certain components from the CD? Is there a risk factor involved in buying OEM operating systems?

MichaelW

Robert,

AFAIK for a Windows or Office CD the OEM means "for OEMs". Over the years I have purchased and used many (authentic Microsoft) OEM versions of Windows and Office, and I have examined and worked with the OEM CDs that came with a substantial number of OEM (mostly Micron and Dell) systems. I have never seen any indication that any of the CDs were in any way customized, and even for the OEM systems at least most of the CDs were in the original Microsoft packaging.

eschew obfuscation