MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Starting exe in dll.

Started by Nordwind64, December 06, 2005, 08:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nordwind64

Hi,

is it possible to start an exe-file, that's standing in a dll as binary?

Best regards,
Nordwind64
Greetings, Nordwind.
Windows 7 (64Bit), JWASM/PoLink

P1

Yes, but why would you want to do that, and in that mannor?

Regards,  P1  :8)

Nordwind64

Hi,

I want to collect many small command-line-exes to one big dll.
The only way I found ist to write an exe to harddisc and start from there. Is there a better way out?

Best regards,
Nordwind64
Greetings, Nordwind.

Vortex

You should stick with your individual command line tools. Why to embed them in a DLL?

PBrennick

Nordwind64,
This is just making things difficult for yourself.  You should just embed the commands for the various command-line-exes as procedures in an exe.  You would assign each procedure to a push button and the job is done.  To run a command when a button is pushed, use CreateProcess or similar.

Putting all this stuff into a DLL that needs to be called by another EXE just adds an unnecessary step to what you are trying to do.

You have a good idea, keep it simple.
Paul
The GeneSys Project is available from:
The Repository or My crappy website

hutch--

I think I get the idea, back in the early DOS days there were COM libraries that you could add extra COM files to and with a bit of trickery you could compress the COM file then shove it into the COM lib so you had more than the 64k limit in the file. What I cannot think of is a reasonable way to do it with PE files in a convenient way.

It is possible to put each in an object module and have a master module that selects which to run and just link them all together but its programming to do it rather than a library like the old DOS type.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

P1

Quote from: PBrennick on December 07, 2005, 10:14:53 AMYou should just embed the commands for the various command-line-exes as procedures in an exe.  You would assign each procedure to a push button and the job is done.  To run a command when a button is pushed, use CreateProcess or similar. ...
Paul has a good idea for you.  Also you can program command line switches as well for batch file work.

Regards,  P1  :8)

Nordwind64

Hi,

thanks to all!
I think, I will try PBrennick's idea. Seems to be the best solution. :bg

Best regards,
Nordwind64
Greetings, Nordwind.

PBrennick

Nordwind64,
If you need help, we will help.  Also, take a look at AppLoad by Ewayne Wagner, http://asmedit.massmind.org/, click on the 'Other Programs' link and it is the last item in the 'Functional Programs And Their Source Code' table.  It is a source of good ideas.

Paul

Nordwind64

Thank you! Looks interesting.
I had opened Ewaynes Site before, looking for the splitter control demo.

Best regards,
Nordwind64
Greetings, Nordwind.

PBrennick

Yeah,
He just sits quietly in the background creating gems.

Paul