News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Speed curiosity

Started by shaldan, December 13, 2005, 09:09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaldan

Maybe this is not a question for this forum, if so I am sorry. I am going through NeHe turorials and updated one tutorial on rotating cube with textures so, that on all sides are various textures of my daugher. When I run it on my AMD (Venice) 3.2 with Radeon X800 it runs smoothly (OS WinowsXP. But to my surprise, when I tried the same EXE at work on Pentium III with some type of old ATI (OS Windows 98), it works rapidly faster.

Any ideas how is that possible ? Is it in processoer or OS ?

thanks.

if you want to download (I dont think it is neccessary though):      http://shaldan.php5.cz/KOSTKA.ZIP

hitchhikr

It's probably that the p3 one doesn't have vsync turned on or the gfxcard doesn't support this option & the example is obviously not framerate independent.

shaldan

thank you for reply ..... it is surely that ... and there is no timing in the code, I forgot to mention.

V Coder

On my 1066MHz PIII laptop with 512MB & integrated Intel (Extreme Graphics) 82830 chipsest, it runs ? smoothly in an 800x600 window on my 1400x1050 desktop and speeds up noticeably when I press F1 to switch to fullscreen mode  (it keeps the 800x600 resolution) .

P1

I personally don't run exe as a rule.  So I did not run your example.

But I could not help to think of clipping maybe involved.  It does take longer to rotate a clipped object versus a full in view object.

Regards,  P1  :8)

shaldan

sorry I have not replied, but Hitch was absolutely right .. I found in settings of my graphics VSYNC, switch it off and than all rotated with speed that I would expected.

thanks to all.