pwb, programmers workbench, typematic repeat rate is extremely fast

Started by jimartial, March 24, 2006, 07:18:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimartial

I have full copy, both software and literature, for MASM v.6.11 package, purchased by me from MS, which was initially installed on Windows v.3.11 computer.  Although used little, it worked without problems.  I have now just re-installed the full MASM package on Pentium machine under Windows 2000 Pro.  Now when PWB is started the typematic rate (hold key down for auto repeat) is functioning with almost no delay and a repeat rate so fast it cannot be determined.  Suffice to say, writing a simple program is nigh impossible.  Resetting "typematic" with DOS Mode command has no effect.  Can someone explain how to correct this problem???

ChrisLeslie

Setting repeat rate and delay time in a DOS "box" works on my computer a P4 XP.
The DOS int16h function 3h might work (BH = repeat dalay, BL = repeat rate) might work on your computer.
Also, the BIOS area seg 40h offset 9Ch contains the delay value.

Chris

hutch--

Jim,

The PWB was always a pig to get these setting right. Look in the installation for the INIT directory which contains the settings you can change and from memory there is an option on the PWB menu for changing thse settings. I very vaguely remember there being a "Friction" setting for the typmatic rate but the internals of the PWB apparently don't use the BIOS typmatic repeat rate but handle it in another manner.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Wistrik

My copy of Masm 6.1 came with manuals. The big white Environment and Tools book (softcover) has full instructions and help for setting up and using the PWB, as well as all the other utilities in the package.

From inside PWB, go to Options > Editor Settings. Make sure the Switch Owner is PWB and set the Switch Type to Numeric. Scroll down the list of options to find the Friction setting. On my old AMD K6-2 450 under Win98 SE I used a setting of 200 here to keep things from getting too fast. (On my new XP Pro system I can set Filter to 0 because the cursor speed seems to be controlled better.) After changing the switch setting, click Set Switch and then Save in order to make it permanent.

Alternately, you can go to the default INIT folder created on install and edit TOOLS.INI.

Note that if your paths/folders aren't set up properly and you edit/save options from inside PWB, it will create a new TOOLS.INI inside whatever folder it was executed from. PWB comes with online help if you, again, have paths set properly in your environment. I don't remember all the details, as my current install happens to be an old copy-over from an old harddrive, with PWB collecting dust in Masm's original BIN folder.