MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Where to start

Started by zwaan, November 28, 2005, 02:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwaan

Ok here goes,

I asked the question on another board but didnt get any help, I am wanting to get a good book to read on asm 32bit.
The responce i got before was read online tutorial, this is ok if you are near a computer but i am not aways able to do this.
I have used vb for work for years and now i want to move onto somthing that can create true PE's and i like the look of asm.
As you have already guessed i have no experience with asm and will need to start from scratch.

So what a want to know does such a book exist for a newbie and if so whats it called.

Thanks in advance
Craig

hutch--

Craig,

Starting asm from scratch is hard work and while you have a VB background, it may not be enough to get you started. Usually you need to have some idea of addressing as assembler does not have simplified support for these types of tasks. have a look at the MASM32 project, HLA is definitely worth you having a look at and since you sound keen, get the Intel manuals for the PIV as well.

Good luck.  :U
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

zwaan

zwaan

I have been looking at a IDE called HIDE, installed easy and looks like it creates true PE's and also it looks like it can be used on linux.
Has anyone got any experience with this IDE. :U

Thanks

Craig

GregL

zwaan,

QuoteI am wanting to get a good book to read on asm 32bit.

This is a good book for learning 32-bit MASM, but it's expensive due to it being a university text book. It comes with a licensed copy of MASM 6.15. Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers 4th Edition

MusicalMike

Why hasn't anyone recomended Randil Hyde's Art of Assembly. Its a great book/entry point into assembly language programming. However I would recomend you learn C/C++ before trying assembly language, as there are many concepts you will need to be introduced to, if you have been in VB. You need to learn about pointers, memory locations, procedural code, true object oriented programming (irrelivent to assembly but still good to know), and many other things. But, please, do yourself a favor and read Art of Assembly. The author is also a moderator on this forum, and he is always willing and able to assist you, and when you decide to move from hla to masm, hutch will be more than happy to do so also, and so will I for that matter, but I am only 17 years old so that may not mean as much.

Hypervista

zwaan,

I echo Greg's recommendation of Assembly Language for Intel-Based Computers, 4th Edition by Kip Ervine.  I'd also recommend Assembly Language Step-by-Step by Jeff Dumtemann.

Good luck.

zwaan

Infro_X

I'd recommend iczillions tutorials, and the intel software developers manuals.
(The Intel Software Developers Manuals are a must)
(Iczillion's tutorials are about programming in windows 32bit)
The last thing I'd recommend, is using ollydbg (or another debugger) on small peices of code to see how they work.
(Also I attached something I made a while ago for a friend of mine, not sure how well it'll go for you because I was talking with him while he was reading it, but I think its a good little txt file, remeber to use terminal font with it, I'm an old dos lover,lol)

[attachment deleted by admin]