News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Skinnable Controls

Started by Bieb, January 05, 2005, 10:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bieb

I'm running Windows blinds on my computer, and for some reason, it seems that all the controls in commercial applications get skinned by Windows Blinds, but apps I write in Visual Basic or MASM with Easy Code, everything always stay the same.  Why is this?

Ramon Sala

Hi Bieb,

WindowBlinds is a program that enables users to safely add thousands of new visual styles to Windows, but
it has to be purchased! As Easy Code is a freeware program, and there also are other additions (Windows Gizmo, etc.) that users could ask for, I cannot spend money purchasing commercial programs. I'm affraid there is nothing to do about that.

Regards,

Ramon
Greetings from Catalonia

Eóin

I don't know much about windows blinds but maybe it uses something like the WinXP styles manifest to decide what applications to skin. Perhaps you'll just need to set that for your apps.

Ramon Sala

Hi,

I'll try to find out more about windows blinds, but it's strange that Visual Basic does not support it.

Regards,

Ramon
Greetings from Catalonia

Bieb

Windows Blinds isn't something that the developer uses to skin their applications.  It is an application, developed by StarDock (www.stardock.com) that is installed on a Windows machine, and allows the user to choose "skins", which change the look of the taskbar, windows, and controls.  I would think that it would work with all applications, but perhaps there is some small tweak that has to be done to allow it to function.

rh150

Perhaps VB app use different name for Class control. That's why they're not supported.

Bieb

I'm currently using the unregisteled version, and in the nag message, it says that the registered version skins non theme aware applications.  What's that mean?

jimh

"Theme aware" sometimes refers to applications (especially when you are owner-drawing something) that load the UXTHEME.DLL and tell it to draw your interface elements.  Most of the time making your app "theme aware" involves little more than adding a manifest to your project and then calling InitCommonControls.