News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Internet Explorer Sucks

Started by rags, October 15, 2005, 02:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rags

After spending most of the past 24 hrs removing the"about:blank" browser hijacker from my system, using a combination of;
ad-aware se, spybot s&d,norton antivirus, hijack this,and cwshredder,along with countless hours of googling and searching for answers.
I've come to the conclusion that IE really is a crappy product, compared to the alternative browsers out there. Ffom now on I'm sticking with firefox.
rags
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

drhowarddrfine

sluggy

about:blank happens to be the homepage for me in IE, that way it loads quicker  :lol

As for the hijack, it looks relatively simple to remove - for a human, that is. For some reason, most of the anti-malware vendors seem to find it quite hard to build logic in that gets rid of this sort of stuff. And from the instructions i have seen, they are a little extreme, there should be no need to go to the recovery console, sites giving advice like this obviously do not understand exactly how these bits of malware work.

In any case, if you run either the TeaTimer component from Spybot Search & Destroy, or MS's anti-spyware beta, both of those will block this type of spyware because they actively monitor the affected registry keys, and will not allow them to be changed without prompting you.

In any case rags, you probably have to blame yourself a little - no doubt you are running as local admin, you are not running anti-spyware monitors, and you have not screwed down the zone permissions in IE. If you attend to those three simple things, you will avoid 99% of problems that affect IE. And you should only surf reputable pr0n sites  :bg :green2

rags

Quote from: sluggy on October 20, 2005, 10:26:10 AM
In any case rags, you probably have to blame yourself a little - no doubt you are running as local admin, you are not running anti-spyware monitors, and you have not screwed down the zone permissions in IE. If you attend to those three simple things, you will avoid 99% of problems that affect IE. And you should only surf reputable pr0n sites  :bg :green2
your right sluggy, I usually use firefox for my 'surfing',but for some reason I chose to use IE that day.never again.I already have the monitors in place.
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

P1

Until they do it to FoxFire.  These people always target the big guy first.  I have seen from the exploits against FireFox is just as vulnerable.  It has not gotten as much attention from these kinds of exploits, yet!  Then we will see how fast the anti-whatever can keep up with the number two(?) browser fixes.

Regards,  P1  :8)

Bieb

When there's an exploit found for Firefox, you can count on someone making a fix for it post haste.  When there's an exploit found for IE, you can count on waiting for upwards of a month for Microsoft to release a patch that may or may not work correctly.

Firefox is, like it or not, inherently more secure than IE.  It's just like people that say Linux or Mac OS is only more secure because no one uses it.  While it's true that not many people bother trying to write exploits for them, they are still more secure at heart than Windows...

P1

Quote from: Robert Bieber on October 20, 2005, 04:24:46 PMFirefox is, like it or not, inherently more secure than IE.
This like comparing a simplier form of something to a more complex form and expecting it to be the same.  Does not work logically. 

When FF gets to IE's level of function then we will compare.  Then maybe M$ will keep up with it's browser.

drhowarddrfine

QuoteWhen FF gets to IE's level of function then we will compare.
IE is seven years behind Firefox functionality.  It cannot handle xhtml or xml.  It does not handle the DOM properly.  It does not properly support some html tags.  It does not support all CSS1 properly. 

Will IE7 be better?  No.  IE7 will not support xhtml or xml or the DOM properly or all html tags.  There will be seven css1 bug fixes and two css1 additions which should have been there in 1998 but no improvements.

IE7 will have all the functionality of standards set in 1998. 

Someone on another board I follow thought they found a bug in FF a couple of days ago and reported it to them using Bugzilla.  They got a report back from the developers(!) six hours later that the bug had been fixed.

IE is the crappiest browser out there. 

P1

Quote from: drhowarddrfine on October 20, 2005, 05:18:41 PMIE is seven years behind Firefox functionality.  It cannot handle xhtml or xml.  It does not handle the DOM properly.  It does not properly support some html tags.  It does not support all CSS1 properly.
It's a given that, FF has features that IE does not have.  But then again, this also reverses the arguement that IE can not have those bugs that FF has with those features implemented.

Logically, we are talking above a union of two feature sets.   With three result areas, the common feature set, so that can compare legitimately; IE unique features; FF unique features. 

So our discussion, can center around to how fast M$ implements other features for commonality versus how fast FF implements other features for commonality.

Who says who is handling what properly?  M$ is propriety software, which does not make it wrong.  It's just the way they do it.

Does a majority make an issue of use right?  IE is the majority.  But it's not necessarily right.

Bieb

In this case, what's right is what provides a better browsing experience for the users, and given that there's loads of cool things you can do on the web for people using any browser other than IE, I think it's safe to say that isn't IE...

drhowarddrfine

QuoteLogically, we are talking above a union of two feature sets.
No we're not.  We are talking one feature set.  That feature set is supplied by the w3c standards committee.
QuoteWho says who is handling what properly?
The w3c does, of which Microsoft is a member. 

More importantly, even Microsoft admits to working toward standards compliance and that IE has "many of the worst bugs that web developers hit".  While they are fixing those bugs in IE7, they have added only two css features written in 1999!

QuoteM$ is propriety software, which does not make it wrong.  It's just the way they do it.
But the internet is NOT Microsoft proprietary software and if they don't want to do things the right way then it IS wrong.

Bieb

Need any more proof that IE thouroughly sucks?  Go to this site in IE, and then in a browser that works properly.  It really is an amazing design.  That is, if your browser can handle it...

drhowarddrfine

Interesting article at Informit about "Why is Microsoft Afraid of Google?".  Some particular comments made by university business professors, not web people.

"...Microsoft, however, tends to focus on stopping the onslaught of the web -- which it did very well with Internet Explorer in the late 90s --"

"...there have been no major new improvements in Internet Explorer in years."

"It's not clear how much Microsoft actually believes that the web is the platform of the future."

P1

After the Monopoly Anti-Trust, keeping some distance from the other browsers, has kept them from more legal troubles. 

You can't please everyone when your that big, damned if you do and damned if you don't.