News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Installing Visual Studio

Started by Robert Collins, October 07, 2005, 01:17:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Collins

I have two computers. Both are running Windows 98. Both are virtually the same. I installed 98 on one PC and then installed it on the other. After that I installed IE 5.5 (+ OE 5) on one PC and IE 6.0 (OE 6.0) on the other. Other than that they are the same.

I installed Visual Studio 6.0 Enterprise on the PC with IE 5.5. It installed perfectly. No problems whatsoever.

I then installed it on the other PC (the one using IE 6). During the installation I got two message boxes.

The 1st message reads: msinet.ocx was unable to register itself in the system registry.
The 2nd message was the same but for signer.dll.

What on earth could be so different about the two Windows 98 OS that on one system it installed perfectly and on the other it did not?

I even copied the two files from the good system over to the system where it didn't install and tried to register the two files manually. Same Problem.

It's beyond me.

sluggy

It is because the framework is not supported on Win9x, i would be surprised that you managed to get a trouble free install on one machine.

Robert Collins

Quote from: sluggy on October 07, 2005, 06:00:15 AM
It is because the framework is not supported on Win9x, i would be surprised that you managed to get a trouble free install on one machine.

What? I have been using VSE 6.0 on Win 98 for years. I think VSE 6.0 was released when 98 was at it's prime. I got my copy of this product way back in either late 98 or early 99. But even so, I have installed it many times on Win98 machines over the years. The only problem I have ever encounterd is this last time on one of my other PCs. And like I said the two machines are the same (ie, both are Dell computers, same model# and same items installed except for one has IE5 and the other has IE6). I don't think its a framework problem else it would have done this on both machines and it would have done this on all the times I installed it in the past. It's something else, I'm sure, but I just don't have the slightest clue. 

sluggy

Quote from: Robert Collins on October 07, 2005, 06:21:50 AMWhat? I have been using VSE 6.0 on Win 98 for years.
Sorry, my bad..... i was tired when i got home from work, and read that as "VS.Net" instead of "VSE 6". Doh.

I have installed it billions (well, almost) of times on Win98/IE6, and never struck that problem, it is certainly unusual. I would suggest two things:

- msinet.ocx is a critical browser component, make sure you don't have active desktop turned on when you do the install of VS.

- the version installed by VS will be considerably older than IE's one, so don't worry about it - they are likely to have identical interfaces, so you may be able to run VS with no problems, the newer version of msinet.ocx will look just like the older version.

Robert Collins

The main problem that it causes is that I cannot create a WebBrowser interface on any of my VB projects. When I installed it I did not have Active Desktop on. As I stated earlier I copied the msinet.ocx from the good install to the PC with the bad install. Thet are exactly the same and I still couldn't even manually register it. Another problem is that I cannot un-install VS since it did not install correctly the first time. Whatever changes it made to the system folder cannot be removed even if I restore a backup of the registry prior to installing VS the other componets still remain in the system so even futher installations of VS don't go through the same install steps. I may have to completely re-install Windows 98 and start over but this would be a last resort if I can't find some other way to correct the problem.

P1

All things being equal:

Then it sounds like a dependency issue.  IE6 updated a dependant file, that will not work with the older two files.

Output a text dump from dumppe and compare the support files for differences.  Most likely it's the same file for both of your files.

Regards,  P1  :8)

shankle

I have 2 Dell machines. On the older one I have windows 98 s.e. AND Outlook Express 5.5.
Outlook express 6.0 doesn't work with windows 98 s.e. on my old machine.

The new machine with Windows XP uses Outlook expree 6.0 and everythings works fine.

This might be your problem.

JPS

The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

Robert Collins

Quote from: shankle on October 08, 2005, 06:22:56 PM
I have 2 Dell machines. On the older one I have windows 98 s.e. AND Outlook Express 5.5.
Outlook express 6.0 doesn't work with windows 98 s.e. on my old machine.

The new machine with Windows XP uses Outlook expree 6.0 and everythings works fine.

This might be your problem.

JPS

I have had 98 and 98SE installed on various PCs from time to time. In all of these cases I have also installed IE6 (w/OE6) and never a problem. I have also installed IE5 (w/OE5) and never a problem. I have installed Visual Studio 97 along with Visual Studio 6 at same time on these PCs with both OS's, both versions of IE, and still no problem. Then on two Dell PCs (same model with same equiptment) I started all over again with a new hard drive on both. On both PCs I installed 98 and configured them exactly the same. They functioned exactly the same. Then on one of the Dells I upgraded from IE4 to IE 5. On the other I upgraded from IE4 to IE6. At this time there was no problems. I then installed VS 6 Enterptise on both PCs. On the PC with IE5 I had no problem with the installation of VS 6. On the PC with IE6 I had a problem with VS 6 about the two files not being able to self register. Considering the fact that both OS's were the same except for IE5/IE6 why should this have occured? I have had VS 6 installed on PCs with IE6 before with no problems. Now, because VS6 didn't install correctly I cannot uninstall it. Well, I'm not going to go through a bunch of experiments to try and correct the matter. I just thought that someone might have a known cure but if not OK because it's just as easy for me to again start over, format the hard drive and install 98 again and go from there.

The only thing that I can think of is that when I was installing VS6 I may have said NO to a question about a file being installed is older than the one in the system. It is reccomended that you keep the existing file. Do you want to keep your existing file? I seem to think that I probably allowed the older file to be installed. I have no idea which file it was. But since I cannot uninstall VS6 and I have no idea how to correct it I guess I might as well start completely over with a new install of 98.