Translation from TASM to MASM Tiny Model

Started by OceanJeff32, October 05, 2005, 10:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OceanJeff32

I have attached two programs that I am trying to work with, to start.

The L3-2.ASM program is from source code to TASM, and it codes up to an .exe that was included.

I am trying to make an MASM compilable version of this in early2.asm.

I actually managed to get early2.asm to compile, but the debug.exe at the command-line shows me

db 66

being entered every other line in my code!

the program runs and freezes up.

I am continuing to work on this today, please help if you can...

Thanks,

Jeff C
:eek :eek

P.S. if you run debug.exe to check the code out, the .com file that I am making starts at 100h, and the .exe provided starts at 0000h

UPDATE!

I figured it out, the second attachment is the successful conversion from TASM. I don't think it liked the MACRO command, it was not needed anyways.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!

MichaelW

Using ML 6.14 I was able to assemble and link L2-3.asm without modification and the program ran OK.

ML /c L3-2.asm
pause
LINK16 /tiny L3-2.obj;
pause
L2-3

The 'db 66' is an operand size prefix that DEBUG does not recognize because it was not supported by the 8086/8088/8087. But even if DEBUG cannot recognize an instruction, prefix, or register, if the processor supports it, DEBUG should be able to run/single step it OK.

For MASM 6+ an ASSUME CS is not necessary because MASM always assumes CS is the current code segment.

eschew obfuscation

OceanJeff32

Actually, you are right!  I compiled that and several other examples in this tutorial without making any changes...I guess once I figured out the ml.exe to use, and the command line, everything compiles!

:lol

Jeff C

P.S. I love making these .com files, it's addictive!  They are so TINY...makes one wonder why Windows Operating System is so LARGE
Any good programmer knows, every large and/or small job, is equally large, to the programmer!