How to enable SSE2, SSE3, 3DNow Professional, AMD64 and EM64T instructions?

Started by Snouphruh, September 13, 2005, 08:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snouphruh

Hi, programmers!

I had spent many time to find out how to make MASM understand SSE2 instructions, but I failed. :'(
I just know that .xmm enables SSE1, .mmx - MMX, .k3d - 3DNow.
but what about SSE2, SSE3, 3DNow Professional, AMD64 and EM64T?

Does someone know?

AeroASM

For SSE2 you need either a macro file or MASM 6.15 or greater. You can get MASM 6.15 through a link on the forum website. Then .xmm will enable MMX, SSE and SSE2. For SSE3 you need a macro file, which you can get from the Intel website.

Snouphruh

I have MASM 6.14 (ML.EXE 6.14.8444). it supports MMX, SSE and 3DNow.
but I got FASM 1.64 a couple days ago. FASM supports MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNow Professional, AMD64 and EM64T.
It's free and there's a source code of it.
There're some examples, manual (PDF) describing FASM syntax and etc.

but I detected some things: MASM can produce more little file size (.EXE) than FASM does.
I have written a simple program that has only window.
MASM code is 1632 bytes. FASM code is 2048 bytes.
and when I add come code (I add one button and a ListView with three columns).
MASM code is 1744 bytes. FASM code is still 2048 bytes.
it seems there's an alignment. FASM uses a bigger alignment value than MASM does.
I don't know how to fix the alignment in FASM.

hutch--

A couple of tricks with MASM. If you need to buold SSE2, update your version of VC6 with the processor pack and extract ML 6.15 which supports SE2. For file size, try the linker in MASM32 written by Pelle. Its smart and drops the file size very often.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Snouphruh

Hey, man!
I've looked through my VC++ .NET and I got ML 7.10.3077

do you want it?

hutch--

:bg

You are not allowed to give it away but its a god version that supports SSE2.  :thumbu

Snouphruh

hutch--

Snouphruh

Sorry but we cannot allow commercial software subject to a licence to be posted as it is illegal.

bouza

Quote from: Snouphruh on September 14, 2005, 06:42:35 AM
I have MASM 6.14 (ML.EXE 6.14.8444). it supports MMX, SSE and 3DNow.
but I got FASM 1.64 a couple days ago. FASM supports MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNow Professional, AMD64 and EM64T.
It's free and there's a source code of it.
There're some examples, manual (PDF) describing FASM syntax and etc.

but I detected some things: MASM can produce more little file size (.EXE) than FASM does.
I have written a simple program that has only window.
MASM code is 1632 bytes. FASM code is 2048 bytes.
and when I add come code (I add one button and a ListView with three columns).
MASM code is 1744 bytes. FASM code is still 2048 bytes.
it seems there's an alignment. FASM uses a bigger alignment value than MASM does.
I don't know how to fix the alignment in FASM.

[/quote Did you try WASM ?,  from OpenWatcom project. It is free and has MMX,  SSE,  SSE2 support]

Snouphruh

Quote from: Snouphruh on September 15, 2005, 11:05:54 AM
Sorry but we cannot allow commercial software subject to a licence to be posted as it is illegal.

I'm sorry, but I live in Russia. Here you can get any software for very low price or, in some cases (friends), absolutely free.
As for me, I have never paid for it. I got all software, music, movies I have from my friends. They got their software and etc.
for free too.
There're shops selling CDs with software, games, mp3 music, mp4 movies and so on.
The price of a CD is $2.95, of a DVD is $4.45.

Snouphruh

Quote from: bouza on October 07, 2005, 10:23:08 PM
Did you try WASM ?,  from OpenWatcom project. It is free and has MMX,  SSE,  SSE2 support]

no, I didn't.
How many bytes does it take on disk? (WASM)

gabor

Quote from: Snouphruh on October 10, 2005, 06:34:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I live in Russia. Here you can get any software for very low price or, in some cases (friends), absolutely free.
As for me, I have never paid for it. I got all software, music, movies I have from my friends. They got their software and etc.
for free too.
There're shops selling CDs with software, games, mp3 music, mp4 movies and so on.
The price of a CD is $2.95, of a DVD is $4.45.

Hi Snouphruh!

This is crime you are speaking about. I hope you are not proud of having "all software, music, movie"...

I guess there are lot of people out there with the same situation. Nevertheless I would prefer to silence about these things since we all work or at least have connections in the software biz and illegal software trade and distribution is the biggest plague. (Another is Microsoft's monopoly and yet another is the BSA, but this is an other story...)
I know there will always be annoying people being so shameless that they not just steal software but they even dare to resell them as originals.

I think the amount of software piracy shows the social and economical state of a country very well. In my opinion it is a shame when a country I mean the authorities let such shops proceed with illegal business... Corruption, crime... don't make a good ad for a country!

On the other side it is not hard to understand those people who create the demand for cheap, but illegal software.
I personaly dislike the game between MS, other big software componies and hardware vendors. It is ridiculous that I need a power plant computer to simply operate it with an OS or run a word processor or other basic applicatoins. (I speak about the newest versions. Old versin don't need the newest hardware.)... This is simply business to get more money from the defencless software buyers, nothing else.

I am a supporter of open source and free software initianives. I am against software patterns and against stupid developer tools and environments that waste lots of resource: need more CPU, more HD space... I feel sorry and I am terribly sad about seeing, experiencing that logic, intelligence, smart solution, with one word true programming is fading away because of the very fast tempo forced by the market.

Well, sorry for this by-pass. Maybe the post would fit better into a Soap Box topic... The few closing sentences can be interpreted as my credo of software development. According to it it is easy to understand why I stick to asm. I believe I am not alone. :)

Greets, Gábor

Snouphruh

Quote from: gabor on October 10, 2005, 07:27:27 AM
According to it it is easy to understand why I stick to asm. I believe I am not alone. :)

Yeah! I do love Assembler too.
I'm not a greedy man. If I have new version of ML, I share it!

gabor

Quote from: Snouphruh on October 10, 2005, 07:46:22 AM
I'm not a greedy man. If I have new version of ML, I share it!

Well, you might have not fully understood me. If the new version of ML is not a freeware or shareware DO NOT SHARE IT! At least do not advertise this on the forum!