News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Free BSD

Started by Bieb, July 01, 2005, 11:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bieb

Well, I can't seem to get any Linux distro to install on my new machine, but FreeBSD will work.  A lot of you seem to be really big on it, so can anyone tell me how I'd go about getting KDE working and configured on it?

Eóin

Personally I perfeer Gnome so have never tried KDE, but I'd say you'll find all the necessary info at KDE on FreeBSD.

Mark Jones

"Free BSD? What, do you mean the poor fella is enslaved or something?"

:bg
"To deny our impulses... foolish; to revel in them, chaos." MCJ 2003.08

Bieb

lol.  Yup, I'm setting him free.

Anyhow, I think I've gotten X and KDE running, but I can't tell yet, because when I start X, my monitor goes blank and tells me the VGA input is out of range, and I need to set it to 1024x768 at 60 HZ.  Does anyone know, would the 60 HZ mean the horizontal and vertical refresh rates or something different?

MichaelW

The 60 Hz should be the vertical refresh rate; the horizontal refresh rate will be much higher, something like 48.5 KHz. I don't know about FreeBSD, but under Windows an out of range message could indicate a mismatch between the display adapter and the drivers and/or the driver configuration.

eschew obfuscation

Bieb

Note that the error is coming from the monitor's OSD, not the OS.

Anyhow, I'll mess with that when I get a chance, and hopefully it'll work.  Now for my next problem.  Oftentimes, I'll "ls" a directory, and I'll get a huge list of its contents, that don't fit on the screen, so I miss the first part.  Is there some way to scroll up on the screen?

Citric

Quote from: Robert Bieber on July 02, 2005, 11:48:42 PM

Anyhow, I'll mess with that when I get a chance, and hopefully it'll work. Now for my next problem. Oftentimes, I'll "ls" a directory, and I'll get a huge list of its contents, that don't fit on the screen, so I miss the first part. Is there some way to scroll up on the screen?

try typing ls | more

arafel

Quote from: Robert Bieber on July 02, 2005, 11:48:42 PM
Is there some way to scroll up on the screen?
Either press "ALT+Scroll Lock" to switch into 'scrolling' mode and use PageUp/PageDown/Up/Down to scroll the screen. Or press Pause and use Up/Down arrow keys to scroll.

MichaelW

If there is a mismatch between the display adapter and the drivers, or if there is a problem with the driver configuration, the display adapter could be sending the display (monitor) an out-of-range signal.

eschew obfuscation