Error on compiling example code from "Art of Assembly"

Started by sandy007, June 30, 2005, 07:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandy007

Hi
    im a newbie to assembly programming. i tried compiling the example code from Randell Hyde 's book which asks me to include ucr library.

i downloaded ucrasm24 and added the include and lib path variables to my system. but the masm 32 compiler gives error in the stdlib6.a file

complaining about "cannot access register in current cpu mode" and three four more errors in that file. can someone please help me set the masm

and the other tools required so that i can run the codes from Art of Assembly. Im running Windows XP SP2 and the masm version im using is 8.x.

brixton

Perhaps try assembling an example from the MASM32 package first, or post the code you are trying to assemble in here.  There could be obvious syntax/declaring problems in your code..
If you love somebody, set them free.
If they return, they were always yours. If they don't, they never were..

Randall Hyde

Quote from: sandy007 on June 30, 2005, 07:33:27 AM
Hi
    im a newbie to assembly programming. i tried compiling the example code from Randell Hyde 's book which asks me to include ucr library.

i downloaded ucrasm24 and added the include and lib path variables to my system. but the masm 32 compiler gives error in the stdlib6.a file
First of all, *don't* use v2.0 of the UCR Standard Library. It is broken beyond usability and was provided on Webster only for example purposes. The 16-bit edition of AoA uses v1.x of the UCR Standard library, so grab that.

complaining about "cannot access register in current cpu mode" and three four more errors in that file. can someone please help me set the masm
This problem will go away when you use v1.x of the library. And always start with the "shell.asm" sample file when you begin a new project.

and the other tools required so that i can run the codes from Art of Assembly. Im running Windows XP SP2 and the masm version im using is 8.x.
No guarantees about MASM 8. AoA/16 was written for MASM 5, and just happens to work with MASM 6, for the most part. Never tried it with MASM 8 (keep in mind, I stopped supporting AoA/16 and the UCR Standard Library over a decade ago when I began work on HLA).
Cheers,
Randy Hyde