News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

What should I do where should I go!!!

Started by spitefire, July 01, 2005, 06:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitefire

Just a few days a go a found out about an old programming language called MASM32 and if I am not mistaken it was used to create the popular game StarCraft, but I could be wrong. I have only just downloaded MASM32 today and when I opened the program was instintly baffled. I looked around for some tutorial sites but could not understand any of it. What exatcly is MASM32 used for? Where should I start, is there another coding program that i should start off with and work my way up? i have expereince in VB6 and C++. Any help would be great

THANKS,   :U

Rich

hutch--

Rich,

It will depend on how much you are familiar with. The MASM32 project is pointed at experienced programmers with a compiler background who know a bit of assembler. It already assumes you know your way around Windows API function calls and understand the architecture. To start to get the swing of MASM32, have a rat through the example code and build bits of it from the editor. Once you get the swing of how it works, you can set up what you like, use different editors or an IDE and poke through the various tutorials available.

Just note this much that not everytging builds the same way as projects in MASM32. Some use the environment, others pipe results from an IDE, the general idea is get the swing of the system and tune it up to suit the way you want to program.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

spitefire

I dont now much about asslembly or API functons is there another program that i could understand more esily that would get me into using MASM32? VB6 or C++ maybe I'll have to learn more with them.

AeroASM

Get a thorough understanding of C first, then forget it when you learn assembly. C is a "middle level" language: it handles high level constructs, but you sitll have to deal with the low level stuff like memory, pointers, procedures and stack frames, Windows APIs etc. Then all you have to learn will be the registers and mnemonics.

roticv

Try http://www.win32asmcommunity.net/phpwiki/

Personally I think C++ is a crappy language and C is better, but C++ has better lib. It supports queues and stuff, while you need to code your own ADT using C.

sluggy

Quote from: spitefire on July 01, 2005, 07:23:06 AM
I dont now much about asslembly or API functons is there another program that i could understand more esily that would get me into using MASM32? VB6 or C++ maybe I'll have to learn more with them.
I think i see where your confusion is..... MASM32 is a package, a tool, MASM is the assembler at the centre of it. Your assembly program can be written in any old editor including Notepad, then assembled with MASM. You can also write some limited assembler directly in your C if you are using Visual Studio, find out more about this in this sub forum.

spitefire

thats what i thought sluggy but wasnt sure thanks everyone for your help