masmforum WebSite

Edit Control Properties

Started by cman, March 15, 2012, 06:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedndave

AV scanner ?
try uninstalling that, first   :P

jj2007

Zip your full code and executable and attach it here. We'll check. IMHO Windows cannot be corrupted to the point of sabotaging a single edit control.

cman

Pretty much what I posted is the full code ( I was actually testing the dialog box in Visual Studio's resource editor when I noticed the edit box would not except large files. Thats when I came here and asked which edit control properties I should use to enter large files. I then wrote a small program to exhibit the problem when asked for code. ). Its strange because I can cut and paste the files into Wordpad and my programming editor but not my dialog box. I ran "Spybot Search and Destroy" and an anti-virus program on my system and found nothing wrong. Everything else works fine. Very strange...........

jj2007

This discussion remains abstract unless you post source and executable. In Olly, we can see what the EM_LIMITTEXT message does. Anything else is a waste of time.

cman

Heres the new output with the changes made to the WM_INITDIALOG message handler.

jj2007

The executable works fine, no problem to paste the full Windows.inc...

dedndave

works here - i am able to paste the entire windows.inc file
XP MCE2005 SP3 - 2 Gb RAM

tenkey

Hope it's not Win9x you're running. The "legacy" controls were 16-bit and limited by that.

Wordpad uses the rich edit control.

If you cannot paste the text into Notepad, then you cannot use the EDIT control.

Is that what EDITTEXT uses?
A programming language is low level when its programs require attention to the irrelevant.
Alan Perlis, Epigram #8

cman

I think tenkey has found the problem. It may be time to upgrade to XP. :'( Thanks for all the input and advice! :U

dedndave

win98 ?
no wonder - lol
you should have mentioned that   :P

P1

Quote from: cman on March 19, 2012, 05:34:58 PM
I think tenkey has found the problem. It may be time to upgrade to XP. :'( Thanks for all the input and advice! :U
Splurge, upgrade from the green monochrome to color flat panel too !!!   :dance:

Regards,  P1  :8)

dedndave

but, i liked the green phospher   :bg

P1

Quote from: dedndave on March 20, 2012, 04:10:45 AM
but, i liked the green phospher   :bg
Aaahhhhhh, I did not catch what planet you were from ???   :naughty:

Regards,  P1  :8)

cman

Quote from: dedndave on March 20, 2012, 12:29:20 AM
win98 ?
no wonder - lol
you should have mentioned that   :P

Yeah , I'm still using Windows Me ( a free copy a got for filling out a survey from my college book store back in the day - I'm kind of a cheapskate  :bg  ). I'm running it on fairly modern hardware and it works fine for most things except for the occasional compatibility issue or something like this problem. I'm starting to consider the Windows Xp Pro install disk I have have in my software collection , though....

hutch--

Be convinced, win9x worked OK long ago but Win2000/XP has a lot more capacity and it is far more robust. You have to do something really bad to trash either where Win9x was relatively easy to crash.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php