News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

question on the s12x processor

Started by ninjarider, February 22, 2012, 02:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninjarider

the s12x processor is in the s12 microprocessor family. which is used in automotive engine control modules. i was curious to know if anyone has ever programmed or attempted to program any processor in this family?

dedndave

probably not
i like it, though - it has a "SEX" instruction   :bg
there are a few members that have worked with several different microcontrollers
i have programmed 4004, 8008, 8080, Z80, 8051, 6502, 680x, 68k microcontrollers/microprocessors (some more than others)
Clive has programmed many more   :P

once you've learned a few different ones, it gets pretty easy to learn a new one
the hard part usually isn't learning about the controller - it's learning about the stuff it's connected to

ninjarider

i had to look it up. sign extend x.

thats funny.

dedndave

:bg
i didn't see a SEXIST instruction
Sign Extend X If S True   :lol

...or, how about SEXXY
Sign EXtend XY

no wonder they won't let me design microcode

clive

No, I haven't played with the S12X which is a derivative of the old 68HC11 family.

If you have the firmware in a binary format your best choices are probably to view it with a hex editor, and find a suitable disassembler. There are definitely compilers and debug tools out their, but the most effective are likely to be expensive. See if Freescale offers any development/evaluations boards.

I'd imagine your best resource might be the chipping scene, ie the guys that modify car computer firmware.  Generally I'd be rather careful with this, as the equipment it's controlling is rather expensive to purchase and repair.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

ninjarider

yeah. it would royally such to blow and engine because of an opcode in the wrong place. but its the only option i have to get my engine to perform the way i want it to. the big companies that produce off the shelf ecm's for my car dont have a feature i want.

dedndave

probably more likely the engine won't start at all if it's messed up   :P

ninjarider

that would be the best case scenerio. but worse case is to miss read the timing wheel and add to much timing under wot accell and detonate the motor sending pieces of sharpnel through everything else

dedndave

well - the guys at SnapOn do it - and at a nice profit, too
it can't be too difficult

ninjarider

your right. it cant be that hard. its just going to take a lot of mental push ups and what not to be able to conquer everything i want done to my motor. people think im crazy for wanting to try it. mercedes says one idea of mine works. i just plan on taking it leaps beyond what mercedes had planned for the technology.

dedndave

there are forums out there for car "nuts" that convert these things
although, they are probably not all programmers

ninjarider

yeah. im on a couple forums for it. but i was just curious if anyone on hear had any experience with this one. i know we deal with x86 here. but that doesn't mean that everyone here has only touched an x86.

dedndave

many moons ago, i worked on some fuel control computers for AiResearch - lol
they were actually analog computers - and are still in use, today

rags

Ninja, I use a SuperChips for my '06 Dodge Charger 5.7 Hemi, it came with the car when I bought it. For me it does what I want.
One thing I like is the ability to save the current settings, to instantly restore them if you change something , and its not working
out like you want.
God made Man, but the monkey applied the glue -DEVO

NPNW

ninjarider,

http://www.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/brochure/BRFSLSFWTLAUTO.pdf

The CodeWarrior Development Studio for Microcontrollers, (Special Edition) is
available at no charge. It allows you to develop projects with unlimited assembly
code, up to 32 KB of C code for HC(S)08.
The CodeWarrior Development Studio for HCS12(X) Microcontrollers, (Special
Edition) is available at no charge and allows you to develop projects with
unlimited assembly code, up to 32 KB of C code and 1 KB of C++ code for
HCS12(X) derivatives, and up to 512 bytes of C or C++ code for the XGATE
controller.

Here is the link to the free special edition.
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=CW-HCS12X&nodeId=01521027263BC3&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

here is the link to the s12xA reference sheet page. You can download the pdf for the instructions on how to write code for the controller.
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=S12XA&tab=Documentation_Tab&linkline=Data%20Sheets&fpsp=1

There is also S12xS,  S12xE link.

Here is the link to the boot loader.

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=S12XE&tab=Documentation_Tab&pspll=1&SelectedAsset=Documentation&ProdMetaId=PID/DC/S12XE&fromPSP=true&assetLockedForNavigation=true&componentId=2&leftNavCode=1&pageSize=25&Documentation=Documentation/00210KscRcb``Application%20Notes&fpsp=1&linkline=Application%20Notes