News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Windows Install Date?

Started by cman, January 20, 2012, 05:58:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cman

How does one find the date that their current Windows installation was made? I hear that the information is stored in the Windows registry someplace. I'm trying to figure out when I installed my current operating system ( I guess I should have wrote the information down someplace!  :red ). Thanks for any information........

donkey

Hi cman,

I don't know of any way programatically to obtain the date however, when you extract the full version number you will get a BUILD number, there are a few places on the web that you can use to match that to a date:

http://www.gaijin.at/en/lstwinver.php
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

The install date is stored in the registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\InstallDate
stored as a dword, UNIX (POSIX) time (32-bit value containing the number of seconds since 1/1/1970)

baltoro

I seem to remember that the Operating System install date is an attribute obtainable with WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation): Win32_OperatingSystem class
WMI is kind of a pain in the ass to access (it loads as an out-of-process COM server),...reading a Registry entry would definitely be easier and quicker,...
Baltoro

Vortex

Hi cman,

If you are using Windows XP, systeminfo.exe reports the installation date :

systeminfo|find /i "install"

donkey

Maybe I misunderstood I thought he was looking for the build date:

Quotecurrent Windows installation was made

Now that I look again at the topic I think you guys are right, the installation date is what he's looking for, it's just a registry key as Dave said.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable