MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Control limit on Windows 9x

Started by Petroizki, June 03, 2005, 07:38:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Petroizki

Beatiful.

I'm few hours from my project deadline, and everything was fine, except when i started making final testing on Windows 98/ME i noticed that some of the controls had disappeared. Apparantly Windows 9x has a resource limit, one dialog can only have 256 controls defined in the resource file!?  :boohoo:

I guess i could create some of the controls on the fly, but that would just complicate things. I think i'll just delete some of the group boxes.

I hate resource files!

sluggy

Or more accurately, you can only have 255 controls on one *window* (no matter whether it is from a resource dialog or not). Try redesigning the look of it so that some of the controls are in a new window which is then placed on your main window (this is fundamentally how controls work anyway). Group boxes obviously don't count as new windows, or maybe the group box needs to be made the parent of some of the controls that are inside it.

Vortex

Hi Petroizki,

Have you the possibility to use binary resource templates?

hutch--

I learnt that limit with a 256 checkbox table generator. Works fine on 2k but failed on 98se.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

Petroizki

I just deleted some of the controls, and got the project to end. Today was my last day at work, so i hope the proggie works. I better change my phone number, just in case.  :toothy

Vortex,

Is there a limit on the controls if i would use the res2bin tool?

Vortex

Hi Petroizki,

I coded a dialog box example displaying 320 push buttons. This demo is based on binary resource data created with the res2bin tool.
It works fine on my Win Xp Home Sp2.

Kindly, could you try to run my demo on your machine?

[attachment deleted by admin]

sluggy

Quote from: Vortex on June 04, 2005, 09:48:33 AMI coded a dialog box example displaying 320 push buttons. This demo is based on binary resource data created with the res2bin tool.
It works fine on my Win Xp Home Sp2.
I think you missed the point: the problem was that Win95/98 cannot handle more than 255 controls per window, WinXP doesn't have that problem.

Vortex

Sluggy, I would like to learn if that limit is also valid for binary resource templates. This is why I asked from Petroizki to try my demo.

Petroizki

pbrennick

It does not work correctly on Windows ME, either.  It only shows 64 of the buttons...

Paul

Vortex

Yes, Sluggy is right. No such a limitation in Xp.