News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Hockey, hockey, hockey

Started by donkey, December 31, 2011, 09:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donkey

Not going too well for the home team, horrible penalties and Russia is playing quite a game. Doesn't look good...

Well, after being trounced in the first 2 periods the Canadians put up a great effort in the 3rd but still lost 6-5, congrats to Russia I guess the best Canada can do now is Bronze.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Ghostly

I could hardly believe the result when I turned on the TV this morning, Canada losing 6-5 to the Russians and they were down 5-1 going into the third (impressive almost comeback from Canada though).  Not as big an upset as USA not making it out of the group play but I was absolutely certain Canada would prevail in this semi and make it to the final. Still, no hockey team have the same pressure on them as Canada I guess and we're talking young individuals here.

donkey

It was a shame but they showed a lot of heart in attempting the comeback after being so far behind and it did come down to the last few seconds, it was incredible that the Russians managed to beat off the last 5 minutes of unrelenting pressure by the Canadians. Give the Russians credit though, they played a great game and never let up. That said, I'm a Team Canada fan and I have an aversion to Russian hockey teams so I'm pulling for Sweden in the Gold medal match.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Ghostly

Quote from: donkey on January 04, 2012, 07:27:13 AM
That said, I'm a Team Canada fan and I have an aversion to Russian hockey teams so I'm pulling for Sweden in the Gold medal match.
Thanks, something tells me we'll need all the support we can get! Due to the extreme rivalry between Russia-Canada I'm sure we'll get an easier game from Russia even though it's the final, for them the game against Canada was likely THE final. So if we can avoid trailing by 2-3 goals entering the third then who knows. Also I'm thinking you're probably not the only canadian who will be rooting for us over the Russians so chances are it will feel like a home game :)

jj2007

donkey

Quote from: jj2007 on January 05, 2012, 01:20:14 PM
The British play some foul tricks :8)

:bg

Sports for wimps, nice that they invented a sport for people who were too feeble to play hockey. Of course there's nothing wrong with the less demanding sports, not everybody has the stamina or physique to play a sport like hockey. I guess after you are too weak to play hockey you move on to soccer and then to checkers or something after that. One period of hockey would either have those guys looking for oxygen or lying in a pool of blood trying not to swallow their teeth.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

...and that doesn't even include the fighting - lol

donkey

Quote from: dedndave on January 05, 2012, 06:39:21 PM
...and that doesn't even include the fighting - lol

Went to a fight the other day and a hockey game broke out.
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

Not sure if you are getting the game Ghostly, but the Canadian crowd is chanting "Lets Go Sweden" :)

Going to overtime...
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

donkey

Sweden wins on an awesome goal by Mika Zibanejad !!! 31 years they waited. Congrats, we'll get you next year in Russia (and in 2 years in Sweden)

Canada takes Bronze, putting them in the medals 14 years in a row, disappointing result but next year...
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

Ghostly

Thanks Donkey, man I was at the edge of my seat from third period forward, particularly since the Russians started picking up steam from then on (they looked really tired the first two). Whatever the end result may had been I was proud to see them play our usual style of hockey with lots of possession in the enemy zone and relying on our strong skating, we pretty much have to since we can't shoot for sh*t ;D  Amazing crowd I must say, we probably had better support than we would have had here in Sweden :D  Also great that one of my two favourite players (Mika) got to score the winner (the other one is Rakell).

Looking forward to next tournament in Russia, Canada will be back with a vengeance that's for sure.

donkey

Mika scored a beauty that's for sure, he's certain to be back in Ottawa soon after his performance at the juniors (sorry you have to lose him but when your that good we invite you to play in our house :bg). Seems more aggressive since he was sent back to the Swedish Elite League, I watched him a couple of games with the Ottawa Senators and he looked like he was either overwhelmed or underskilled, well he definitely has the skill so we'll see how he does when he gets back to the NHL. The announcers on Canadian TV were already saying Ottawa may call him back very soon. The Russian players really impressed me and there are so many of their stars elligible for the draft this year, hope my Montreal Canadiens get one or two :)

There was a crowd of about 20,000 there for the game (capacity), the vast majority of them like me were pulling for Sweden. Add that to an estimated TV audience of about 5 million (peak), and that might be the biggest game some of those kids will ever be in.

Sweden just outskated the Russians who looked tired while the Swedes looked energized and fresh.

-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

what's with those pants ?   :lol
they look like stylish depends

donkey

Quote from: dedndave on January 06, 2012, 05:02:23 AM
what's with those pants ?   :lol
they look like stylish depends

Well, you might need depends when a 220 pound, 6'4' Russian with metal blades on his feet and a stick in his hands is coming straight at you with hurting on his mind :bg
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

dedndave

it's amazing how fast i can skate when someone is chasing me   :bg