News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Nice to meet you all

Started by betelgeuse, December 23, 2011, 05:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

betelgeuse

So I had a friend suggest this site to me when I said I wanted to expand my knowledge of both hardware and software. I know a little about hardware but I have almost no knowledge about coding and so here I am. If anyone has any suggestions where a good place to start picking up the basics is I would appreciate that very much.

Thank you,

betelgeuse

donkey

Welcome to the forum !

Get yourself a copy of the MASM32 SDK and check out the example code.
"Ahhh, what an awful dream. Ones and zeroes everywhere...[shudder] and I thought I saw a two." -- Bender
"It was just a dream, Bender. There's no such thing as two". -- Fry
-- Futurama

Donkey's Stable

jj2007

Quote from: betelgeuse on December 23, 2011, 05:04:33 AMI have almost no knowledge about coding

Hi betelgeuse,

Welcome to the forum :thumbu

Assembler is not really a Beginner's All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code, but you can try anyway. As Edgar (Donkey) wrote, install the SDK and go ahead. Click on my signature to see some step by step instructions.

dedndave

welcome to the forum   :U

that was the perfect part for Michael Keaton   :P

for someone new to programming, the first stumbling block is quite often data representation
i recommend some reading...
http://www.arl.wustl.edu/~lockwood/class/cs306/books/artofasm/toc.html
start with chapter one and work your way through to chapter six, at least
the documentation is a little bit dated but, for the most part, pertinent

vanjast

Welcome - How old are you...

There are many genre's of hardware and software, each purveyor adamant that theirs is the best..
If you're looking at PC/Windows/Assembler.. you're at the right place, and we ARRRR the best  :P.

If you're looking at 'embedded' hardware - there are many types and their associate development software 'kits'
Just google it.
:U

betelgeuse

I'm 21 and just looking to expand my knowledge of technology and my biggest shortcoming is software. I'm really just looking for some where to start learning. I don't have  specific purpose in mind other than just learning.

betelgeuse

Vortex

Hi betelgeuse,

Welcome to the forum.

vanjast

Well, for just expanding your knowledge.. you have a few choices

1) you can go High Level languages like C, C++ (yes it is HL) Java (eeeugh), Some other goodies.. Visual C/Basic

2) you can really go low (slumming it) Assembler, hex editing (don't do this - you'll jump out the nearest window  :green2)

Anyway what you'll find is that a 'language is a language', Assembler (Asm) is the bottom of the pile and everything else is built on top of it.
So just for knowledge's sake, Asm will help you understand everything in the existing 'computer universe'. Difficult to start with, but easy to understand.
It's all a mindset - Train your brain for this adaptation.
:thumbu

vanjast

To clarify...
Languages like C++ and above become 'abstract'.. they remove you from the underlying hardware, which is their intended 'portability' purpose

Assembler requires knowledge of the hardware, and what you'll find is that all hardware platforms are very similar in function, thus so are their corresponding assembler languages. This is a poignant point conveniently ignored by purveyors of high level portabilty languages.

:bg

Phil Klisma

welcome to the forum betelgeuse, i hope the recommendations are helpful. At 21 you should be sufficiently focused, and still retaining enough neuro-plasticity to pick up the techno-art of assembly language with a minimum of forehead creasing :lol
let me know when you have your first "HELLO-WORLD" window working. As always you can PM me at anytime if you get confused
_L!G!