News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

unable to load MSDIS109.DLL

Started by aker, January 23, 2011, 04:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clive

Yeah, but you kind of loose the impact of what ADVAPI32 is pulling in, or touching.

Ok, it lists the top level imported DLL's for each DLL as it is loaded. It only descends once otherwise this would be even messier. It looks where the system would normally hunt for files, and provides the resource/version details for the ones it's finding. A ?? indicates it didn't find something. Another reason not to descend on things already touched is the circular nature of some system DLLs. The rightward position infers the depth at which the binding is occurring.

It was built as an exercise to try and understand what DLL's a customer's system actually had installed to see why things went pear shaped with different MFC implementations. The app can install the things it needs, but DLL hell often means some obscure one can exist on a system, and it gets loaded in preference to the one you want/expect. Doing a directory of an entire system might provide multiple versions/variants of a specific DLL, so it's useful to understand which is used in given circumstances. One goal was to be able to replicate a failing system in the lab.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

dedndave

adodo

So what actually provides msvcp50.dll? Is that Visual Studio, the Windows SDK or both? My system did not have it at all and I downloaded it from the Internet. Is it by any chance part of one of the C++ redistributable packages?

By the way if anyone is interested this is the source code for the object module I was trying to disassemble...

#include <stdio.h>

int main( int argc, char **argv )
{
printf( "Hello World\n" );
}

The simple hello world program.

MichaelW

There is a MSVCP50.DLL version 5.0.0.7051 in the i386 directory on my Windows 2000 Pro SP4 CD. And a MSVCP50.DL_ in the i386 directory on my on my Windows XP Professional Version 2002 CD, which after expansion turned out to also be version 5.0.0.7051. And a MSVCP50.DLL version 5.0.0.7022 in WIN_13.CAB on my Windows ME CD.
eschew obfuscation

adodo

Sounds like it is an older file then. Not installed by default in my Windows 7. When I have a chance, I must look on the install disc to see if it is still distributed there.

hutch--

:bg

Why did I have the same comment before I read Dave's ?
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

dedndave

if the DLL isn't already present on your system, it should at least be provided with LINK.EXE
i.e. the source for the linker and the DLL should be the same
for different versions of LINK, you may need different versions of the DLL

clive

MSVCP50.DLL version 5.0.0.7022 is part of the MSVC 5.0 distribution, but has MSDIS100.DLL
MSVC 6.0 has MSDIS110.DLL, and MSVCP60.DLL
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.