News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Mark Monitor ??

Started by vanjast, November 07, 2011, 06:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanjast

Anybody got an idea what this wesite is about...
I'm filtering out (via router and TCP monitor) some IP addresses popping up with K-Meleon and some other softwares (legal) that I have, and they seem to love comunicating with these websites (or servers)
IPs > 209-85-229-105 , 209-85-229-95, 209-85-169-101

WhoIs says that its a Brand Protection/AntiFraud website, but it looks to be a problem like 'Spyware' that these people are using to access my PC or get  info from it.

Anyone else seeing this
:tdown

vanjast

Been watching it a bit...
Start up K-Meleon and its goes systematically (randomly) through about 5x 209.85.229.xxx:80 IP addresses.
Google is my base page but that tries 209.85.169.xxx addresses.

It doesn't stop KMeleon from running but looks like a spybot that KMeleon and others have placed into their software.
Maybe it's a secret service thing to spy on the world..  :wink  :naughty:

I dont think the exe files have been 'compromised' as it only KMeleon and this other GeoMapping software that I have.

Hmmmm.

dedndave

it is google
do you have a google toolbar ?
is it your homepage ?
is it your default search provider ?
see what HiJackThis tells you

vanjast

I just picked that up right now.. Ja.. it's Google. You beat me to it... :bg

Changed my home page and VIOLA.. it's gawwwnnn. I'll check out the rest
:8)

vanjast

Playing around a bit and found a whole lot of search webpages link up to Mark-Monitor.
I've only found one so far that doesn't.. Altavista.com

Anyone else have any other idea ?

dedndave

wikipedia says "MarkMonitor" is a brand protection service...
what ever the hell that is - lol

vanjast

Brand Protection = my PC communicates with their servers... without my permission = spying

I think it's a 'front' for anything google (and others)... I've now filtered out anything google on my router.

One thing that worries me is that an lot of webpages link to ajax.googleapis.com
I don't like the look of this as it doesn't stop the webpage, but stalls it for a minute.

I'll go through my control panel - remove items next