News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Simulate multimedia keyboard key presses.

Started by Bill Cravener, October 25, 2011, 11:02:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Cravener

:bg

Here is a very simple approach to control the system sound for those folks with keyboards that have no multimedia keys so that you can control the systems master sound by muting and controlling the volume. It uses the Windows SendInput API to simulate multimedia keyboard key presses. I've tested it on Vista and Windows 7 and it should work on any machine from Windows 2000 up.

When you run the program it sits in your system tray. Pressing Ctrl + F12 toggles muting, pressing Ctrl + Up Arrow key increases volume, pressing Ctrl + Down Arrow key decreases volume.

http://www.quickersoft.com/examples/ControlSnd.zip

Or it can be downloaded from my site link below.
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

dedndave

works great here, Bill   :U
xp mce2005 sp3

Bill Cravener

Thanks for that Dave. You know that lady client of mine wasn't happy with just the means to mute her speakers she wanted a means to control the volume also. You know women, their never satisfied unless they have it their way! :bg
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

dedndave

well - she has to be liking this - with the OSD and all   :U

Bill Cravener

Quote from: dedndave on October 26, 2011, 02:04:21 PM
- with the OSD and all   :U

You meaning Old School Democrat? Yep, thats me! :wink

Or more likely Officer on Special Duty! :bg
My MASM32 Examples.

dedndave

Official Super Dave   :bg
Overly Sexy Drunk   :lol

or, it could be...
On Screen Display

FORTRANS

Hi Bill,

Works on Windows 2000.

Regards,

Steve N.

Bill Cravener

Speaking of keyboards I have an MS Comfort Curve 2000 multimedia keyboard I bought at TigerDirect last summer on sale for only $9 bucks (they still have them at $20 bucks on their site). It also has some extra keys besides the cut, copy, paste Ctrl+ keys such as find, all, underline, bold and italic that come in handy. Anyway, I love its soft key press feel and with the add-on IntelliType software it shows that small volume scroll bar above the system tray Dave shows in his attached picture. Why anyone needs a volume indicator I haven't quite figured out because my ears tell me when I've changed the volume setting up or down, but then thats just me I guess. :bg
My MASM32 Examples.

dedndave

yah - i like the intellitype and intellipoint software capabilities
you can program all the multi-media keys and so on
although, i think they are resource-hoggish
mine is a MS Laser 6000 V2 (mouse and keyboard) - i love it
excellent feel and the battery life is very good compared to other brands i've tried

AnthonyScott

I have tried this and works really well without any kind of fault. I am happy with its performance.