News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

1 Gig internet service

Started by shankle, October 13, 2011, 03:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shankle

I was reading in a science magazine about business and science needing a much higher
internet service. Had no idea this was even possible.
Right now America is bringing up the tail end as far as internet services are concerned.
Ala the tier crap.
S. Korea as I understand has the fastest internet service in the world.
Much faster than good old America :(
My town will be getting Fiber Optics by the 1st of the year if nothing more happens.
This will be better than ATT but how much better and will the reliability be there?

This is a question I would like to ask of our resident engineers.
They are running fiber to the garage and I assume using the existing telephone
cable in the house (around 50' to the computer). THEY say that won't make any
difference... I don't care about the phone and TV but I want the best I can get for
the computer. Your thoughts.

Question - what computers for the home will handle this speed?????
I would venture none exist today.

The greatest crime in my country is our Congress

clive

I'd presume the goal is that you don't saturate it. Plan on getting a couple of PCs running torrents off some SSDs?

The drop from the garage would probably be a 100/1000 Mbps ethernet. Some of today's computers come with 1Gbps Ethernet cards (I've got some 3-year off lease HP workstations that do), but to distribute that you'd want a 1Gbps switch/router.

I don't suspect most indoor phone cable is going to work, you'll need something like CAT6.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

They will presumably split it at your garage into a phone feed (via your existing house cabling to your *phones*), and a data feed to some CAT5 or CAT6 or whatever you have as a wired network in your house. Alternatively you could plant a wireless access point in your garage if pulling wire through your house is problematic.

Plan B, install your torrent servers in the garage.
It could be a random act of randomness. Those happen a lot as well.

shankle

Thank you Clive for the detailed info.
I printed it off and am going to run it by the Greenlight people.
Just as I thought. Telephone wire is not acceptable for Fiber Optics
to the computer.

clive

Dan Bricklin has this on Verizon's FiOS
http://www.bricklin.com/fiosinstall.htm

You're garage gets a box like this

Out of one voice port you connect your phone system (POTS), out of another you get Ethernet. Your internal phone lines, unless your house was constructed in the last 10 years, won't carry raw data.

I have DSL, and I split it a the demarcation point, one side to the DSL modem, the otherside goes to a filter and then the phone system in the rest of the house. The ethernet from the modem goes to a router, with 100BT cabling pulled to all the rooms. I have a 1970's ranch, I've pulled out all the original coax and phone cabling and replaced it with 21st century grade video/phone/data cabling.

shankle

Thank you again Clive.
Maybe these two articles will convince the Greenlight people that the existing
wiring won't be adequate for my computer.
House was built in 1998 and I guess no special wire was used for the phone lines.

clive

How are your computers connected now? A DSL Modem with all the rest of your phones hung off filter dongles?

The demarcation for phone service is typically just outside the house these days. They usually just pull the fiber to that point, but need power because the light can't power your end of the circuit like the old copper wires could.

shankle

I have an ATT DSL modem on a separate phone line from the others in the house.
I put my phone box on the inside of my garage for security reasons.
They can put a FO line up the garage wall on the inside and run the line in the eve
to the den 50 ft. away. This would entail at least 5 90 degree bends in the wire.
I guess there are ways around that much bending.

shankle

Hi Clive,
I'm confused again.
Why can't GreenLight run a FO cable from the garage to my computer?
Cat 6a cable is copper twisted wire. Yes, probably better than
what I have.

clive

I'm sure they could pull as much fiber as they need, and cut it to length. The question is, where is the demarcation between the phone companies fiber/equipment and the modem/switch that gets that into the Ethernet 100/1000 you get to connect to your computer(s).

Unless of course you plan on getting a ~$350 Fiber Gigabit Ethernet Network Interface Card to plug into your computer.
http://www.superwarehouse.com/p.cfm?p=1570145&CMP=KAC-GoogleShopping&sourcecode=SW09W002%22

If you know the parts/equipment they plan on installing, you'd have a better idea of what's workable, and how they plan to get from your garage to your office.

shankle

The manager in the GreenLight office said the loss of signal using the existing wiring would
be minimal. I don't believe him. I simply can't pay $350 for an interface card. Out of the question.
I have seen the equipment they intend to install in my garage but I don't have the
electronic experience to understand it.
Your make mention of the phone companies fiber. The phone company has nothing to do with
the GreenLight installation. It is coming down from a satellite farm to their office then my home.
Their claim is anything they do will be better than ATT. I've heard that before.