News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Disc Imaging Software

Started by GregL, July 21, 2011, 11:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

What are you guys using for disc imaging software these days?  I have been using Acronis True Image for years but they seem to be having problems with Windows 7 64-bit.  Acronis' tech support has tried to help, I have had about 5 remote sessions with them, but they haven't been able to get it to work.  Since I never have been able to install Acronis TIH 2011 on Windows 7 64-bit, I have been using the built-in imaging program that is in Windows 7 Professional (64-bit) and it seems to works fine, although I haven't needed to do a restore so far.  Sinsi said he did a restore with it and it worked fine.  And now my Acronis TIH 2011 quit working on Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, it just says Windows has stopped it and won't allow it to run. I can use the bootable media but that's a pain in the rear, I'll do it if that's the only way.  What are you guys using?

Or, are you not doing this type of backup?

mineiro

I have used UltraIso, and norton ghost, but both are for 32 bits, I don't know if have 64 bits version. But when things don't work I wakeup a linux and do a raw image.

GregL

mineiro,

I tried using PartImage on SystemRescueCd, but my linux is not so good, I couldn't figure out how to save the image to a USB hard drive.  I used Ubuntu for a few months a few years ago, but not since then.  I think PartImage would work well if I could figure it out.

zemtex

I use robocopy (Robust file copy) for backup

robocopy c:\windows c:\winbackup /E /ZB /COPYALL /PURGE /MIR /R:5 /W:10

Remember to run as administrator.

If you have access problems afterwards, you can delete the folder by doing a few commands

takeown /R /F folder
icacls folder /inheritance:r
icacls folder /grant Administrators:(OI)(CI)F /T
rmdir folder /Q /S

If you want to reset ACL with robocopy you can replace /COPYALL with /COPY:DAT

I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

Magnum

I use Macrium Reflect with never a problem restoring a hard drive.

Have a great day,
                         Andy

GregL

zemtex,

Yes, I use Robocopy too.  For data backup, it's great.  But (as you know) it doesn't do disc images.

Magnum,

I have looked at Macrium Reflect but haven't tried it. I think I will, thanks.

mineiro

Follow two links that can help you about how to deal with "dd" (command line way). The second link point to a dd ported to windows (but I do not have tested this version to windows)
The final word is take care allright, dd can trash your partition , entire hd if you use it wrongly.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)
http://www.chrysocome.net/dd

If you get error in first link, try to type it, or copy and paste, this happens because ")".

sinsi

I am using Seagate DiscWizard (the free version of Acronis I think) on win7pro x64 with no dramas, backup and restore.
That is only for imaging computers that I am repairing, for mine I use windows backup - restoring is easier (boot from windows dvd, restore from external hdd, done).
The only problem I had restoring mine was reactivation - had to phone microsoft. As soon as I told him it was a replacement hdd all was ok.
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

GregL

sinsi,

I didn't think of that, having to phone Microsoft. I've had to do it once or twice before, it's pretty painless.

lingo

"Since I never have been able to install Acronis TIH 2011 on Windows 7 64-bit"

For me Acronis TIN is the best and works like a charm on my 2 desktops and 2 laptops with
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit - SP1 (see the picture)... :U

hutch--

I am using an older version of Acronis on my XP dev box and it performs faultlessly. I store the image data file on another partition and have occasionally had to restore the boot partition by booting from a CD and overwriting the boot partition from the disk image. Takes about 5 minutes. I confess I rarely ever turn Win7 64 bit on, XP still does everything fine, I keep it for compatibility testing and occasionally watch video on it if I want to both watch a movie and work on my dev box at the same time.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

GregL

Lingo,

That's interesting, it sure won't install on my system.  Maybe I need to re-install Windows, I really don't want to do that.  I think I'll just use the bootable media for now.

GregL

Hutch,

Yeah, sometimes I wonder if Windows XP wouldn't make things a whole lot easier. My wife still runs it and Acronis TIH works perfectly on her PC. Like you say, XP is just not as powerful for video etc. though.  And my laptop only has drivers for Vista, thanks to Dell, so I'm stuck on it.

GregL

I re-installed Acronis True Image Home 2011 on my Vista laptop and it has been working fine.  Acronis tech support still has not got it to install on my Windows 7 64-bit desktop after another remote session.  At least they have been trying. I don't know if I will hear from them again.  Buyer beware.