News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Addresses and OllyDBG

Started by Wally88, August 01, 2011, 01:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wally88

Hello, I'm using ollydbg to debug an application. Me being new to the debugging scene, I'm having some trouble understanding what these addresses are all about.

Ok here it goes - I set a breakpoint in ollydbg for a particular function and got this:

Call to send from TheApp.00514321
Socket = 21C
Data = TheApp.009B8F30
Datasize = 8
Flags = 0

Please notice the data being stored at TheApp.009B8F30. I can't find this "address" in the "TheApp" module because the addresses end at like 00700000, so I just moved on.

Later on, just tracing through code I came across this:

LEA EDI,DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+9B8F30]

It's loading a ptr to the data here right? But why does it use the "9B8F30" like an offset? Can someone give me some theory behind this?   :eek The value of EAX at that point is 15059640.

zemtex

Quote from: Wally88 on August 01, 2011, 01:11:58 PM
Ok here it goes - I set a breakpoint in ollydbg for a particular function and got this:

You got yourself a gift there, use it gingerly.  :lol
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

dedndave

LEA EDI,DWORD PTR DS:[EAX+9B8F30]

that makes no sense - lol
the tip-off is the segment override   :8)
(dword ptr is meaningless for LEA, also)
it must be data or misaligned code

show us the hex bytes
is this it ?
3E 8D B8 30 8F 9B 00

B8 30 8F 9B 00
would be
mov eax,9b8f30h ;10194736

i have seen some odd numbers generated
once i look at the source, it makes sense
here is a good example.....
;ECX = WM_HSCROLL or WM_VSCROLL               ;114h or 115h

Scrol0: push    ebx
        shl     ecx,6                         ;cg.v-cg.h = HvOfs = 64 = 2^6
        push    esi
        lea     ebx,cg[ecx-HvOfs*WM_HSCROLL]  ;EBX points to either cg.h or cg.v structure

it will look odd when disassembled because the offset of (64 x WM_HSCROLL) is 17664
that value is subtracted from the address of the "cg" structure to create the instruction offset
i shift left 6 because there are 64 bytes in the horizontal portion of the "cg" structure
the difference between WM_HSCROLL and WM_VSCROLL is 1
once the cg structure is indexed, i use the same code for both horz and vert scroll  :bg

zekyr

I was curious about debugging in ollydbg as well; when I get a handle from a WINAPI call where is that memory at? I know its a handle and not so much an address but where does that memory go? can I even access or look at it from ollydbg?

for example if i did something like this:

invoke CreateCompatibleDC, hDC

and got back a handle, is there anyway i could take a look at that memory

dedndave

an hDc value may well be the address
many handle types are addresses

dedndave

.....i might add.....

the hDc may actually be an address to a table of values that describes the Dc