News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

UpDown Controls preset ranges

Started by zemtex, July 21, 2011, 08:02:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zemtex

I will convert my resource file into code  :P I wonder how I can do that effectively, the only Resource Editor I really like is the one from ketil olsen. I think I will just go ahead and do it manually, I have no rush  :bdg

The damn resource file added another 4 or 5 KB into my executable just like that, its quite noticeable. I think I can get rid of at least 3 KB by converting it to code. Unless the data hit a boundary and added a 4 KB cluster which is partially empty, I forgot to check.

Another "annoyance" is that if you use resource files, people will steal your resource template, extract it from your executable. I have seen one of my templates stolen at least once
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.

Gunner

If you use RadASM (which has the resource editor) it has a tool called Dialog To Window.  It will convert your dialog with controls, to CreateWindowEx calls  :U  You will just have to modify the ouputed code (at least I do when I use it)
~Rob (Gunner)
- IE Zone Editor
- Gunners File Type Editor
http://www.gunnerinc.com

dedndave

you guys and all your fancy editors   :P
i roll all my own stuff, mostly in NotePad   :lol
of course, i am not doing it for a living
i'd probably do something different if i had a boss breathing down my neck, wondering when it will be done

MichaelW

Unless you were creating a large number of nearly identical controls, I suspect that the code to create the dialog and then create the controls individually would be larger than the dialog template would be.
eschew obfuscation

dedndave

it's a toss-up for controls, really
as i recall, all the text is stored in unicode in the resource section
but if you use the method i showed a few posts back, you can add entries into the tables to make it more flexible

for menus, i cut it in half, then some

Bill Cravener

Quote from: dedndave on July 23, 2011, 04:21:29 AM
you guys and all your fancy editors   :P
i roll all my own stuff, mostly in NotePad   :lol

Right on Dave, best assembly editor ever created! :thumbu

I'm the author of a small utility with nearly 7000 lines of code all done and managed in Notepad (I used my HTML editor to count the lines though :bg).
My MASM32 Examples.

"Prejudice does not arise from low intelligence it arises from conservative ideals to which people of low intelligence are drawn." ~ Isaidthat

dedndave

i use Hutch's QuickEditor for line numbers
i would use it exclusively if copy and paste were not 3-steps   :'(
i have thought some of RE'ing the thing to modify it - lol
maybe it would be easier to add line numbers to NotePad
another approach would be to write my own, of course
i do like a couple other features in Hutch's

zemtex

Notepad is useful, I think I have used it for html, css, javascript, vbscript, assembly and god knows what not. Notepad is simple and useful. We all like simplicity. But after many years I have come to value editors that have these two characteristics:

1: Simple
2: ingenious for its use

Notepad have these two characteristics:

1: Simple
2: Useful

So in the recent years I use only "GOOD" editors. There is a reason notepad is named notepad; It is good for notes. It is an excellent viewer, it is an excellent "quick" edit program, but it is in no way ingenious for its use.

I know what people mean when they say they like notepad, I have been there myself. As you become a more efficient editor/coder you learn to appreciate the ingenious part that makes the editor exceptional, easy to use.

What I don't tend to like is advanced editors that has a crappy interface with a ton of buttons. The user interface must be clean, yet it should have "not so obvious" advanced capabilities hidden away from the interface.  :naughty:
I have been puzzling with lego bricks all my life. I know how to do this. When Peter, at age 6 is competing with me, I find it extremely neccessary to show him that I can puzzle bricks better than him, because he is so damn talented that all that is called rational has gone haywire.