News:

MASM32 SDK Description, downloads and other helpful links
MASM32.com New Forum Link
masmforum WebSite

Media speed

Started by sinsi, July 09, 2011, 10:39:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sinsi

Anyone know of a good accurate speed tester for HDD/USB drives?

I am getting some crappy readings (via copy/paste in Explorer) and would like some confirmation.
For example, usb2-sata adapter gives me ~15MB/s, usb3-sata is 90MB/s and a flash drive (usb2) is 3MB/s.
I have onboard raid0 setup and barely get 100MB/sec, the same as when there was a single drive.
Compare that to the external usb3 drive.

ffs I can burn a dvd quicker than writing to that flash drive...
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

dedndave

except for the raid, they sound like typical numbers to me
for raid, the cache size may not be optimal

MichaelW

For the disks the media rate will vary with the length of the tracks being accessed, with the highest rate at the longer outer tracks.
eschew obfuscation

dedndave

yah - a lot of variables come into play, there
how many drives you have striped and so on
partition size - nice if you break it up a little
it may also be affected by system settings like virtual pages or amount of free space on the v-drive (usually the boot drive)

from what i have heard, on-board RAID's are not the greatest

KeepingRealBusy

Have you tried HDTune?

Dave.

hutch--

Sinsi,

RAID0 is usually knackered by the bus data transfer speed, I have set them up in the past and benchmarked them, usually on board types and they are no faster than a single drive if the single drive is up near the bus limit. I think you can get some peformnce gains with smartarse RAID cards but you mainboard may end up being the limiting factor.
Download site for MASM32      New MASM Forum
https://masm32.com          https://masm32.com/board/index.php

sinsi

Hey Dave, HDTune is what I was after, cheers.
Interesting numbers, raid0 (2x1TB) average 250MB/s, 1TB sata3 average 105MB/s, 1TB usb3 average 115MB/s, (not-so-)flash drive average was 15MB/s.
Not as bad as I originally thought.

Maybe I will take the 1TB out and hook it up to usb3...
Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them.

KeepingRealBusy

Glad to have helped.

Dave.